• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Ok. So there has been no vomit for several days now but this morning he started again. Now the only thing that was different yesterday is that I gave him the American probiotics last night.

Thinking back, it is very possible that he only vomits when I give him these. The Thai vet also gave me probiotics and there was never a problem. He started vomiting before around the time I started giving the American probiotics. Then I took them upstairs for Joey and left the USA probiotics up there and used the Thai ones for Vader. Vomiting stopped. Last night I used them for vader's dinner and he's vomiting again.

The weird thing is that I've NEVER heard of probiotics causing this.

Just going back to the USA for a month @Hankmacaw. My niece "needs" to see Disneyworld. Lol

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Oh you are one of those uncles.

If he doesn't regurg with the Thai probiotics give him that. He did have an infection though.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I've never seen that probiotic before. Concerns me that it "supports ideal crop ph" ???? How big of a scoop is it?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
It's tiny. Maybe 4 drops if it were a liquid.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if you are going to be in the states for a month who is going to take care of Joey and Vader? your niece is very lucky little girl that Uncle is coming home to take her to Disneyworld.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
if you are going to be in the states for a month who is going to take care of Joey and Vader? your niece is very lucky little girl that Uncle is coming home to take her to Disneyworld.
I'm paying a former housemate of mine who helped raise Joey to house sit while gone. Taking care of Vader is infinitely more complicated than raising Joey was though.

Technically my parents are taking all of us to Disney.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
good that mate knows what to do, hopefully.
if you are looking for other stuff to do in FL, I can give you a couple of fun ideas. one is the Tampa zoo, we had a great time there in '09. there is great aviary there of macaws, black palm cockatoo, budgies, lorikeets and many other birds from both the Americas and Australia. plus white tigers, rhinos, elephants, giraffes.
and if you have a day to spend, Clearwater Beach area, pier 60 has nightly street performers on the pier. There is also a pirate ship that takes you out into the gulf, great for the kids and the adults. when we were there the beaches were beautiful. great shelling, walking along the water from pier 60 to the jetty. also a great area to swim in, lots of lifeguards on that beach. I have pictures if you want to see them.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
So the vet said no diagnostic tests this time were needed. Has given 7 more days of amoxicillin just to make sure ALL of the bacteria are killed. I will make sure the culture is done again once he is off the medicine.

He said the vomiting is because he wants to share food with me. This could be true since it almost always happens when he sees me. I'm still a bit skeptical of this though. Will go back to the Thai probiotics.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
In my limited experience - Vader is too young to actually be bringing food up to try to feed you. Mine, even at 2.5, mainly just goes through the motions. Only rarely does she actually bring up food (luckily, since it's pretty disgusting). Maybe some birds do it with less effort?? Maybe he still has a touchy GI? It's good that you've gone back to the meds., since it was a pretty short round to start with. If your BG is named Joey, is your name Wade? I've been thinking that YOUR name is Joey, but I doubt you both have the same name. (Though I do know a family who has a daughter named Anna, who then named their dog Annie...)

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
In my limited experience - Vader is too young to actually be bringing food up to try to feed you. Mine, even at 2.5, mainly just goes through the motions. Only rarely does she actually bring up food (luckily, since it's pretty disgusting). Maybe some birds do it with less effort?? Maybe he still has a touchy GI? It's good that you've gone back to the meds., since it was a pretty short round to start with. If your BG is named Joey, is your name Wade? I've been thinking that YOUR name is Joey, but I doubt you both have the same name. (Though I do know a family who has a daughter named Anna, who then named their dog Annie...)
I think its too young too. And he just started doing it around the same time his appetite started fading. Then again. He usually only does it when he sees me.

My BG has exactly the same name as me. I am a III and don't plan on having kids anytime soon so I'm continuing my name with something that will outlive me anyway. (I didn't know Joey was a girl when I named her. Lol)

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Korbel brought up food for me at quite a young age, in fact, Maui and Korbel would feed each other every morning from the very first day they met. Maui was 20 weeks old then. I have photos from my breeder of Maui feeding a very tiny chick when he was barely even fully feathered himself. They start very young.

My husband and son are named Joey, well Joseph. My son is a JR. Their middle name, which I won't mention since it's funny.... is five generations old I believe.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper started regurgitating quite young - I think at 5/6 months. It is a natural thing for a young bird to do - that's what the vet said.

But remember Vader really was sick.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Jasper started regurgitating quite young - I think at 5/6 months. It is a natural thing for a young bird to do - that's what the vet said.

But remember Vader really was sick.
Yeah. I guess I'm just trying to decide weather or not I should use this regurgitation issue as a health indicator or not.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You will pay attention now and know. Just by being more aware of the possibility will have you watching more closely.

I will say again, IME, regurgitation is up and down or back and forth. The food is brought up in front of them and either reeaten or dropped in front. Vomiting is the motion and then side to side, quick flicks throwing the food everywhere.

When Korbel had his allergic reaction to doxy he would bring up the food like regurgitation then lean forward very far letting the food run out. After expelling as much as he could he would then flick side to side to remove the rest.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Good to know - I've never seen actual vomiting in a bird.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Good to know - I've never seen actual vomiting in a bird.

I have the craziest things on YouTube. Just about every bird scenario possible. ;)

My scarlet Maui vomiting. By the time this video was uploaded to my vet he had been vomiting for hours and was exhausted from doing so. He was no longer flinging anything.

As a backstory, ;) he had seen the vet earlier that day and was being treated for something ( I can't recall what, I'd have to look it up ). However, this video was to show my vet the amount of vomit still happening hours later after he promised me he would empty out. ;)