• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Those extended sensitivities are fascinating and really show why you can't just throw an antibiotic at a problem and have the expectation that it will do the job. Worldwide there are more and more bacteria that are becoming resistant to our old friend antibiotics. My vet says that Baytril (a flouroconozole) has been most over used and won't prescribe it without an extended sensitivity test. Good news is that an entire new class of antibiotics is being reaearched. Bad news is that it is about five years from general distribution.

How's the boy this evening/morning?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Those extended sensitivities are fascinating and really show why you can't just throw an antibiotic at a problem and have the expectation that it will do the job. Worldwide there are more and more bacteria that are becoming resistant to our old friend antibiotics. My vet says that Baytril (a flouroconozole) has been most over used and won't prescribe it without an extended sensitivity test. Good news is that an entire new class of antibiotics is being reaearched. Bad news is that it is about five years from general distribution.

How's the boy this evening/morning?
I'm really surprised they even did the sensitivity test. That's better medical care than I've ever had here. Lol

He's acting the same as always I guess. Poop is generally better than before. No vomiting. He's been spending time walking around the bottom of the cage today, which worried me, but he's also been more active than normal. He also decided he likes red bell peppers.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Red bell peppers are good - lots of Vit a and Vit C. More active means feeling better.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
It's good to hear that things are looking up and that you have a definitive diagnosis! He may have come to you with this issue... You've certainly been through a stressful time with him.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I
It's good to hear that things are looking up and that you have a definitive diagnosis! He may have come to you with this issue... You've certainly been through a stressful time with him.
I do wonder how long he's had this problem. None of the antibiotics he was on before would have taken care of this issue.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
how did vet visit go ?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
how did vet visit go ?
The vet is out of the office until wednesday because his dad is sick. Vader is acting fine but not showing much interest in solids again other than biting them in half and dropping them. Grrrrr

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How old now Joey?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Almost 5 months. When he quit vomiting I bumped up the feedings back to 70cc three times a day. Should I skip or reduce the middle feeding every other day or so and see if he eats more on his own?

I know normally you reduce feedings when they don't beg for food anymore but he quit begging because he was sick. Now I'm not really sure which steps to take.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Are you through with the antibiotics now?

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Glad to hear he is doing so much better.

I still think @Hankmacaw should write a book just saying :rolleyes:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds like Vader is doing better. You might want to get settled in for the lang haul with Vader. Sometimes sick babies take longer to wean. Ask Sarah - LOL My Jasper had a fairly rough start and she was 7 1/2 months before she weaned and still enjoys a hand feeding now and then.

Watch him closely for a relapse. Pseudomonas can be hard to get rid of and there may be something in the house that is reinfecting him.

@metalstitcher Too late. Too much arthritis in my hands now. Thanks though.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
5 days huh? Kinda wish that was a little longer but hopefully it did the trick.

5 months old and still handfeeding is really not concerning to me. :D I had a .... ummm.... late bloomer? :hilarious: Actually, my bird was pretty much the joke of the forum... Korbel and his ninny. :p Korbel was handfed until he was 2 years old, yes... 2 years old! :jawdrop1: It didn't bother me and I'm a sucker for a begging face. Of course though, it was not 3 times a day.

Once you are sure he is well we need him to want to remove that middle feeding. The amount of your feedings is fine to me, Korbel took 60cc every morning, he still would eat 60cc if I brought out a syringe. Problem is, your guy is not asking for food is he?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
5 days huh? Kinda wish that was a little longer but hopefully it did the trick.

5 months old and still handfeeding is really not concerning to me. :D I had a .... ummm.... late bloomer? :hilarious: Actually, my bird was pretty much the joke of the forum... Korbel and his ninny. :p Korbel was handfed until he was 2 years old, yes... 2 years old! :jawdrop1: It didn't bother me and I'm a sucker for a begging face. Of course though, it was not 3 times a day.

Once you are sure he is well we need him to want to remove that middle feeding. The amount of your feedings is fine to me, Korbel took 60cc every morning, he still would eat 60cc if I brought out a syringe. Problem is, your guy is not asking for food is he?
He'll beg for food if he gets really hungry yes. But usually it's more like he just tolerates it. He's acting better overal but he's hanging out at the bottom of the cage at night more than I'd like. Should it concern me? He'll still climb and fly and all that. It seems like he just likes it. Everything appears fine, but I've heard that it's a bad sign.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
And 7 months sounds forever. I'm okay with weaning taking as long as he needs. I'm just slightly concerned because I'm headed home at the end of March and would really love it if Vader was healthy and eating on his own.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Start training a friend and Vader now, in case he's not weaned by then!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Are you coming back to the States permanently?