• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Found this on Utube - could be a possibility for you and your baby. Give me some input fellow AAers.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Harley really, really wanted to eat. LOL

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Joey wade @Hankmacaw
talked to Dr. Barb she has never heard of BACTLE. there are some other things that she recommend vinegar 50/50 soak, but if you are tube feeding it can destroy the tube. what about Oxi Fresh over there? or Avi tech ? they are both cleaners she uses in the clinic for cleaning bird food & water dishes. they will not sterilize the dishes or feeding equipment though. Joey, you may want to do some reading on feeding with out the tube so your little one get use to eating food, tasting food. let me do some digging in my stuff books and the alike, I may have some instructions that may help you.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What about Dixie cups or a bent spoon? Some of the old time aviculturists over here used them; some still do.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
with my budgie babies I used a syringe and once they were able to try eating on their own, I used a plastic spoon with sides bent upwards in to a funnel shape. I know they are a lot littler bird but it was interesting how fast they could eat. Dr. Barb said that you should a least attempt a syringe. always hold the baby on your lap and feed from the bird's left side of the beak. she also said to try just a tiny dib dab of formula in the beginning so that he taste the formula a little at a time.

Kaytee
» Exact Hand Feeding Baby Macaw

I am still digging thru my books looking from my notes.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Just got back from the vet. They said some bacteria was present but not infected. Suggested it could be from slow crop and/or the food being too warm. Food has never been hotter than 108 under my care. Crop has always been empty in the morning until today. I started the extra feeding yesterday and this morning he still had what felt like a tablespoon of formula in the crop. Had planned to reduce the evening amount a bit. Dr. Said to feed smaller amounts more frequently.

I posted the prescriptions below. Not sure why he prescribed an NSAID. Also weird that he would prescribe an antibiotic if there is no infection. Bacteria is normal... Even helpful at times. To make matters worse is that I'm very skeptical of doctors here. They like to medicate without specific explanations quite often.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Macawnutz
ok, that sounds like a slow crop. can you get Apple cider vinegar (Bragg's is the best) in Thailand? you are going to need it. it helps to move the food along. even apple sauce would help, unsweetened. you will need to add a little bit to the formula every feeding. Sarah would know how much to add. feed smaller feedings and watch for hunger responses, head bobbing, empty crop etc, etc.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Yes I have some bragg's apple cider vinegar here I brought from home last time. I used it with the BG when I suspected slow crop.

I am very reluctant to give this bird antibiotics without an infection. Especially knowing that it could result in yeast afterwards.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Well they did a culture. From crop and from feces. Crop was ok. Feces had bacteria but not infected. Dr did say it wasn't serious yet. I will try ACV and smaller feedings and continue to watch everything carefully.

The antibiotics resulting in a yeast infection scares me. I'm having flashbacks to the harlequin disaster.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
that is understandable. they do make bird probiotics and that is something that you will have to research.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm not a fan of medicating without cause.

What was the reason you brought him in? Up until now I thought he was doing great but you were questioning food amounts.

Did you get the culture results? You can always put the meds in the fridge until you need them. I would not start adding meds or ACV until you need it.

You can put him on a 4 hour schedule. Did you ask the vet about showing you how to handfeed?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
My friend took him to the vet because I was working and also because my Thai isn't good enough for situations like this. I was hoping to get a more detailed answer but it was just wishful thinking.

Culture results (I guess it was a culture) from crop was fine. From the feces showed some bacteria. Dr said it wasn't serious yet, and said he was giving some digestive medication. However the pharmacy gave an NSAID and antibiotics. The vet told my friend to just use the tube :-| I will try it tonight though and see how it goes. The video was pretty helpful.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Ohhh. And I took him to the vet because I wanted to make sure he didn't have any pre existing problems hiding like the harlequin had.

He acts fine, eats fine, poops fine.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am an old timer and used a baby spoon when feeding love birds the principle is the same

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Good morning Joey, we have search box at top right of the page. put in hand feeding or slow crop and there is wealth of information from others who have had the same problems. how is the li'l one doing today?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Good morning Joey, we have search box at top right of the page. put in hand feeding or slow crop and there is wealth of information from others who have had the same problems. how is the li'l one doing today?
I spent most of my time at work searching and reading the forum about what to do with a slow crop. There is such a wealth of information here it's both encouraging and overwhelming. I do wish the vet had been more specific and detailed, but this is Thailand.

I'm not really sure if he has a slow crop or just isn't used to being fed as much as he was. The only morning his crop still had a bit of food was today. And this was the first day after adding an additional 100g feeding at lunchtime.

I'm not sure if it's actually a slow crop or if he just wasn't used to that much food. Nonetheless, I split the feedings up into 4 parts today and reduced the evening feeding a little. I will see how he is doing in the morning.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
BTW - does your baby have a name?