• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I did my research. This stuff doesn't exist in Thailand and must be ordered. I will get some because it sounds like great stuff. That still leaves me needing something in the short term.

I got some other stuff at the bird market. Imported from Japan... Not exactly sure what it is. Couldn't find any info online. I've started using that today with boiling water until f10 arrives.

I also started the 90cc x 3 times per day feedings today. He just had the last one and is out like a stone. Hopefully he'll be up to a satisfactory weight soon.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I couldn't find anything about the BACTLE on the Inet either. Just be very careful about following instructions.

Which baby bird formula are you using?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I couldn't find anything about the BACTLE on the Inet either. Just be very careful about following instructions.

Which baby bird formula are you using?
There were no instructions, so I've been spraying it, letting it dry, then washing it with boiling water before the feeding.

I'm using Kaytee exact for macaws.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
my cousin is vet and I can call her this afternoon. she has been all over the world doing her vet thing and ask her about BACTLE. she might know maybe..

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
she is not in the office until 2 pm CST. not sure the time difference between you and me but I can ask her.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I found some stuff on the BACTLE - all in Japanese. The reason there isn't much out there about it, is because it appears to be a new product (2015). They have a Facebook page - in Japanese. LOL - I don't do well at all in japanese.

@rocky'smom Tell the Dr. that it is a Japanese product - that may help her.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I just emailed her the pictures that @Joey wade put on this page. this is the office email so she will not get until she gets in. I know that she use F-10 in the office & clinic and orders it from her DVM supply house. I don't do Japanese either. when she goes to her missions World Parrot Trust she bring F-10 with her.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I really appreciate everyone's help. It's been years since I've posted on a message board and it brings back good memories and a sense of community. I have an American friend working in Japan as a translator but can't even find any info in Japanese.

What about soaking the syringe and tube in a hydrogen peroxide solution. Would this work?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Update before bed... So I found the website. As it turns out, Bactle is actually a Thai product with the brand translated into Japanese at the top for some odd reason.

I had a friend translate the question and answer page. It's all organic, kills 99.9% of bacteria, and can even be used for wounds in the mouth and swallowed (although it recommended probiotics afterwards).

I have no idea what it actually is. But I guess I have no choice other than to use it. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bactle was actually F10 premixed and rebottled as a "Thai innovation."

Thanks again for the help.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Temporarily you can soak in white vinegar/water 50/50 mix for 30 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly in very hot water.

Also you can buy (I would assume availability) plastic bags designed to steam sterilize baby bottles. We use these for syringes and other equipment at my home care patients home. We have used several brands some manufactured in China, some in Sweden and some in the USA. I would think some brand would be available in Thailand . You just wash thoroughly with soap and water rinse well and follow directions to sterilize on the package.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
What are your feeding utensils?

If you boil those 60cc syringes they won't last long. What tube? Your not tube feeding right?
It's a 100cc heavy duty syringe with a screw on back. I am tube feeding. It's what everyone here uses and it's the only way I've been shown. I'm aware of the debate about the best method to handfeed. I wanted to try without the tube but his feeding response is crazy. Im afraid the formula will go everywhere/down the wrong pipe.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's a 100cc heavy duty syringe with a screw on back. I am tube feeding. It's what everyone here uses and it's the only way I've been shown. I'm aware of the debate about the best method to handfeed. I wanted to try without the tube but his feeding response is crazy. Im afraid the formula will go everywhere/down the wrong pipe.

That is good reason why your baby is hungry after feeding. He never tastes the food. That is also going to cause huge issues when you are getting close to weaning, he does not know how to eat or swallow.

You need to learn how to feed your baby. A vet, a breeder, a friend... anyone that can teach you. 100 times more dangerous to tube feed. You are inserting a tube down into his crop? I would worry about puncturing his crop.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Temporarily you can soak in white vinegar/water 50/50 mix for 30 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly in very hot water.

Also you can buy (I would assume availability) plastic bags designed to steam sterilize baby bottles. We use these for syringes and other equipment at my home care patients home. We have used several brands some manufactured in China, some in Sweden and some in the USA. I would think some brand would be available in Thailand . You just wash thoroughly with soap and water rinse well and follow directions to sterilize on the package.
I will go to the pharmacy tomorrow and see if they have the steam bag. That sounds promising.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
In the USA most places that sell baby bottles carries them.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
That is good reason why your baby is hungry after feeding. He never tastes the food. That is also going to cause huge issues when you are getting close to weaning, he does not know how to eat or swallow.

You need to learn how to feed your baby. A vet, a breeder, a friend... anyone that can teach you. 100 times more dangerous to tube feed. You are inserting a tube down into his crop? I would worry about puncturing his crop.
I have had several birds here from different breeders and they all used the tube. Of course I worry about puncturing the crop. If I fed without the tube I'd worry about asphyxiation. If I left him with the breeder I'd worry she didn't feed him enough.

After successfully hand feeding and weaning 3 conures and a macaw, I got a sick bird last time and pretty much worry about everything now.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Can you post pictures of your feeding equipment? Macawnutz is one of the baby macaw experts on this forum.

Like you said, I don't believe tube feeding is very popular here. I'ts considered dangerous and inadequate in developing good eating habits in your bird.. GW macaws have a ridiculous feeding response, but many, many people have hand fed with a syringe successfully.

@Macawnutz are there any good Utube videos on hand feed macaws, or do you have any?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8::hug8:to you and your little Green wing.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I also have the normal cheap plastic syringe with a small plastic nossle at the end. I had planned to use that with no tube. But this is what the breeder gave. Is 48 days too early for him to start swallowing a bit of formula on his own? Obviously I want to do what's best for the bird. But as of now I've decided the best thing is the familiar thing. I don't really want to experiment with a new method on any bird without help, but I am willing to try other methods if I can feel comfortable with it. I mean there was a time with the conures and the BG where I threw the tube away and just let them take it from the tip of the syringe.

Attachments