• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenchick Cohatching

Leonor

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello
My pair of greenhick have 3 eggs she is not going out the cagebox and the mail is the only one going out to eat, is this normal?
Do you think the mail should be in the cage with her or should I separate them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
Can you tell if he is feeding her in the box? Normally when my hens were incubating, the males would feed them, but they would still come out to drink water and grab a quick bite. Are you sure she isn't coming out? It could be you aren't around when she does. Have you checked in the box to ensure she is okay? Unless there is for sure an issue, they shouldn't be separated. She will rely on the male to feed her and later when chicks hatch he will feed her and she will feed the chicks, and then he will also assist in the feeding when they are a little older. She won't be able to be truly successful on her own.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Keep them together. The male is feeding her and she will need his help with the babies.
It's normal for the male to not help with incubation in greencheeks. He will feed her and the babies when they hatch.