• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Thighed Caiques

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The green thighed are listed as endangered on IUCN but I don't see them on the CITES list Appendix I. I don't think there are any restrictions with them at this time. All Psittaciformes are included on Appendix II except for a few exceptions that aren't included on any of the appendices and the ones listed on Appendix I.

The CITES Appendices | CITES

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes they are endangered and there are import restrictions. Generally, though, birds are not imported into US any more unless they are a pet bird and then lots of hoops have to be jumped through even with non-endangered birds.
IUCN and CITES don't necessarily match. For example, Cacatua goffiniana (Goffin's cockatoo) listed on Appendix I of CITES but considered near threatened on IUCN. Pionites leucogaster leucogaster (green thighed) not listed on Appendix I but is included in Appendix II as are most birds

I wouldn't think she would have difficulty purchasing from a local breeder (US breeder) if she can find one.

I believe that importation for resale into the US was halted in 1992.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I have a friend named Laura Campbell she is in Pennsylvania. She has a pair of green thighed caiques that are new to her. I am not sure if they are breeding yet. You can find her on facebook here. That is a link to here group, a great place to see how she raises her babies. She does a great job.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
“Lime Thighed” caiques are hybrids, and I wish Rita was upfront about that. There is no wild equivalent. I think it is deceptive. Her “lime thighed” birds show genetics of green thighed, yellow thighed and Black Headed. Laura’s are also lime-thighed hybrids.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought it was a subspecies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
“Lime Thighed” caiques are hybrids, and I wish Rita was upfront about that. There is no wild equivalent. I think it is deceptive. Her “lime thighed” birds show genetics of green thighed, yellow thighed and Black Headed. Laura’s are also lime-thighed hybrids.

So lime thighed is a hybrid - is green thighed the same thing or a subspecies of white belly?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So lime thighed is a hybrid - is green thighed the same thing or a subspecies of white belly?
The green thighed are supposed to be a subspecies. Pionites leucogaster leucogaster.
Guess green thighed and lime thighed are not the same.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The green thighed are supposed to be a subspecies. Pionites leucogaster leucogaster.
Guess green thighed and lime thighed are not the same.

Okay, that clears it up, thank you!

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
They are not the same. Plus the taxonomy of the Pionites genus has changed in the past two years. Until 2015 the taxonomy was two species, Pionites Melanocephalus and Pionites Leucogaster (Black Headed and Green Thighed) with three subspecies (P. M. Pallida-Black head with yellow in place of orange thighs), P. L. Xanthomerius (yellow thighed) and P. L. Xanthrurus (yellow tailed). Based on DNA and distribution, and differences in leg coloration, there are now considered to be four species (P. Melanocephalus, P. Leucogaster, P. Xanthurus, and P. Xanthomerius) and one subspecies (P. M. Pallida)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So what we are seeing in the states are hybrids

It sounds like there are SOME green thigh in the US but they are quite rare. LIME thigh are hybrids.