• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Singing Finch vs Canary?

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Hello all!

Recently, someone near me put up a yellow fronted canary (green singing finch) up for adoption.
I think they are really interesting looking birds, sadly it seems like there isn't much unique information on them, mostly just basic "finch" information.

Does anyone have experience with these? What are they like compared to canaries?

Like Canaries, do you cage males singly, or do they have to be in pairs like other finches?

I just want to know more about them! I hope someone can help.

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
Green singing canaries are amazing little birds, and IMO sing much nicer than canaries! Mature ones are easily sexed: females have a 'necklace', the males do not. They molt into their adult plumage at about 8-9 months old and have a long life span for a finch; a 20 year old green singer is not unusual. They do best on a 50/50 finch/canary seed mix, egg food, finely processed chop and dried greens (I feed mine Higgens Leafy Greens and Herbs, and some Herb Salad). When I could find it, I gave them Perle Morbide (ground to a powder) which they really liked as well. They are also given oyster shell grit. Minimum flight cage size should be 30x18x18 for 1-2 birds, as they are constantly on the move.

These little gems have a dark side however; they are infamous for aggression. Males will kill other males, and sometimes even their own mates. Two males should never be housed together, but a single male will do fine on his own.

There is a good article here about them: Green Singing Finch (Yellow-fronted Canary) - Serinus mozambicus

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Clairecanary15 I have never had green singers. Only Gloster canaries. Actually I thought a green singer was a canary of a sort. I'll have to listen to that song on youtube and see if I agree with @Nerine ;)