• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Opaline Quaker Genetics

Chickie01

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Hello, I just joined and this is my first post so if it is in the wrong area, please forgive me.

I have had Marley for a few years. I was told by the breeder that the bird is a female, because "all visually green opaline quakers are female". But this person has given me false information in the past, so now I'm questioning gender. Is that really true? Any help much appreciated. Thanks. 20230613_121216.jpg 20230710_162510.jpg 20230519_143223.jpg

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:
your birds are gorgeous thank you for sharing pics

@Pixiebeak might be able to help you

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'd say not true , as all I e seen that are DNA tested have been male

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welcomegroup: :xflove::xflove::xflove::xflove::xflove::xflove: cuties!

Chickie01

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
I'd say not true , as all I e seen that are DNA tested have been male

So how do genetics work for opaline? Could the breeder have known gender of Marley based on what colors the parent birds were?

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know nothing about color genetics but wow what an adorable couple of birds you have!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I really don't know genetics at all. They're sex color links. But then with all the colors mutations now it seems you can get both sexs in previous sex links??? Honestly I didn't know.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
So how do genetics work for opaline? Could the breeder have known gender of Marley based on what colors the parent birds were?
This is a sex-linked mutation. To put it as simply as possible, males can be either visually opaline, or split to opaline (not able to be seen, but they still have the gene). Females, on the other hand, can only be visually opaline. Therefore, in order for a male to be visibly opaline, he needs two opaline genes whereas a female only needs one. This is why there are many more females that are visual for sex-linked mutations than males. Now, for a female to be opaline, only the father needs to have the opaline gene be it one copy (split) or two copies (visual). For a male to be visually opaline, both parents must have at least one opaline gene (mother must be opaline and the father must either be visual or split).