• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green conure Behavior

ricksan

Moving in
Hello, I'm very new to having birds as pets and I've been taking alot of info in over the past couple of weeks (mostly from here). And I have a question about one of my birds behavior.
I have 2 birds one a Green checked conure and the other one is a sun conure. I got both of them from my brothers ex when they broke up. My brother's ex was not very good with all the animals she had and neglected both the birds alot.

Now onto the problems I'm seeing. The sun conure is good as gold will sometimes let me touch him and will sit on my shoulder and will never bite me unless if I don't let him sit on my cups but the green conure is in lack ID better terms an a hole. He'll bite me if I get close to him he'll walk up to my hands and bite them and he'll even land on my hands just to bite them. He'll only bite my hands, ears, eyelids, and the bridge of my nose but then will sit there and prune the back of my hands. I've watch alot of videos that say they can help this kind of behavior but I don't think any of those methods would work for this bird.

I appreciate any ans all help and advice

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think I would stop allowing the gcc to be on my shoulder, since he’s biting. I don’t let a bird on my shoulder until I can assume he’s not going to bite. I suggest you take some steps back and start over with him, feeding him some treats safely and learning how to avoid bites.
Gcc can be very nippy. More than Sun conures. When I had a gcc I only kept him out for about 15 min at a time. More than that got him overwhelmed and he bit me. I don’t think he was trying to be mean, I think he was simply too wound up.
These birds are probably stressed out and sad. I’m really glad you’re taking care of them and there are lots of Conure owners here. They are fun and active little guys. I hope everything smooths out. Conure corner or behavior byway are great places to ask for advice .
P.s. welcome!!

ricksan

Moving in
I think I would stop allowing the gcc to be on my shoulder, since he’s biting. I don’t let a bird on my shoulder until I can assume he’s not going to bite. I suggest you take some steps back and start over with him, feeding him some treats safely and learning how to avoid bites.
Gcc can be very nippy. More than Sun conures. When I had a gcc I only kept him out for about 15 min at a time. More than that got him overwhelmed and he bit me. I don’t think he was trying to be mean, I think he was simply too wound up.
These birds are probably stressed out and sad. I’m really glad you’re taking care of them and there are lots of Conure owners here. They are fun and active little guys. I hope everything smooths out. Conure corner or behavior byway are great places to ask for advice .
P.s. welcome!!
Thank you for this. I think that's what im going to do. But the one thing other big thing with him is he loves being out of his cage and sitting around the room until he decides to come and see what I'm doing.

I just realized something by typeing this I notice a probably very important factor. He only bites me unprovoked when I'm not paying attention directly to him

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That’s what my Meyers does with me. So I be sure to focus only on her and if I can’t, I put her back Because the best way to prevent bites is to avoid what sets the bird off.

you will be able to learn his body language or feather and body posture. My gcc would go from fluffy and happy to pull his feathers down tight and whip his head around and pinch. They are excitable little birds. I guess I’d just keep him off my shoulder because you don’t want any face biting to establish.

also you still need to make friends with both these guys by feeding treats and being calm friendly and reliable to them. They are new in your home and may be confused or sad. Honestly when my very old Quaker passed away my gcc got very very depressed. I didn’t know he liked her so much. But they have big emotions, and both birds need to learn that you are safe and not going to yell or go away.

have a great winter holiday with your new housemates!!