• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheek, parrotlet, or ringneck?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I think pest may have been a poor word choice for green cheeks. What I am mean is "bratty". Not that they are not sweet and fun. More that they are into everything and quick about it. I had one that knew he was up to no good and when I would say " no" would stop whatever bad thing he was doing. Then after a minute when I would turn around would go back to it. Quite defiant. Again they are fun and sweet but also trouble makers. Made out of cage time quite interesting especially since all my birds are and have always been full flighted.

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
@Familyof12 they look so sweet! Now I think it’s between greenie, p’let, and a lovie. But I still am deciding. I eventually want to get different species of birds, but don’t know if a parrotlet would be territorial? How do you train them to not bite?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Any bird can be territorial. One thing I also want to recommend is if you're thinking about other birds in the future make sure you think about beak size of the future birds. If you're looking at all small birds then a p'let or lovie isn't an issue but if you start getting into large conures or medium sized birds then the beak size difference would automatically make me keep them 100% separated. Now I'm not saying all birds will get along by any means but if you have big beak size differences then I would be very cautious depending on the size bird you'll want long term.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Carmen learned after time, no matter how much she bit me, she could come out of her cage, play, eat millet, get treats and I never ever scolded her. I would say in a high pitched voice when I would get attacked just cleaning her cage "oooowwwwieeee....that hurt...." slowly remove myself and and leave the room. Diablo has never ever bitten me.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Also look up videos of the birds ya like screaming. Turn up the volume and listen to a few videos.

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
@cosmolove what other parrots could I keep with a greenie? Would a lovebird and a greenie be fine?

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
I'm owned by 5 conures, lol.... I know. Hehe. 1 Crimson Belly Conure playful great talker (2nd loudest) 1 Jenday Conure playful cuddly (loudest of my 5), Cinnamon, Turquoise, High Red Yeloow Sided Pied Green Cheeks (these 3 are quiet). I dont find them pests, my oldest Cinnamon is 17 years old and the quietest very gentle. They enjoy cuddle time just hanging out on me, they are all sweet. Then I'm owned by 2 lovebirds very playful fast flyers, 1 Regent parrot my best clear talker, great flye loves to hang out on my shoulder, 1 8 month old male blue parrotlet he is a great talker and quieter than all the other birds, super sweet, crazy active playful, cuddly, loves natural fiber toys, would be on me 24/7 if I'd let him ❤ I love them all. None are nippy, I've never been bitten hard enough for blood to come from it. They all play out on Java trees during the day and get along ok.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm owned by 5 conures, lol.... I know. Hehe. 1 Crimson Belly Conure playful great talker (2nd loudest) 1 Jenday Conure playful cuddly (loudest of my 5), Cinnamon, Turquoise, High Red Yeloow Sided Pied Green Cheeks (these 3 are quiet). I dont find them pests, my oldest Cinnamon is 17 years old and the quietest very gentle. They enjoy cuddle time just hanging out on me, they are all sweet. Then I'm owned by 2 lovebirds very playful fast flyers, 1 Regent parrot my best clear talker, great flye loves to hang out on my shoulder, 1 8 month old male blue parrotlet super sweet, crazy active playful, cuddly, loves natural fiber toys, would be on me 24/7 if I'd let him ❤ I love them all
So which one do you recommend for @RyleeRae ?

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
Crimson Belly Conure playful great talker (2nd loudest)
I’ve always loved crimson bellies, but I can never find any!
Which of these would you recommend?

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
My 17 year old green cheek conure is the one that started my love of birds. The green cheeks are really a great all around bird, cuddly, playful, some can learn to talk, they can amuse themselves playing with toys in their cage, they don't scream loud, they are sweet little characters.

My 8 year old son loves all the birds as he has grown up with them. His favorites are the Jenday & Parrotlet.

My blue parrotlet boy is wonderful, not cage territorial, not nippy, he has some attitude, but nothing that I would say is bad. He says: Hi, whatcha doing, peek a boo so far. He is the quietest out of all the birds. (I can see falling in love with these and getting another one in the future ;)

Its up to you and your personal preference on which you decide to get. Most of my birds have chosen me, (except for the Crimson Belly & the Regent I picked them out) you will know if a bird chooses you, it's the sweetest heartwarming feeling. If you get one I suggest a handfed bird that you can meet and interact with before buying. All of my birds are male except for 1 female lovebird (during egg laying season she gets mean and will bite hard enough to draw blood so for a couple months in spring she's untouchable). I don't breed her, all my birds are spoiled pets.

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
@ashgate thanks so much for your answers! I’m sooooooo torn:bash:
I love all of them!!