• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure x Sun Conure Hybrid

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It "dilutes" the gene pool. You can end up with birds generations down the line with odd coloration and sometimes health issues. I have friends with cross bred macaws that have behavior problems as well; such as extremely high strung that they and others feel are associated with the crossing. It would be nice to see all of the pure breeds to have homes before we start mixing the pool.

:eek: I had no idea about this.

I like your post.:D

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
What a cute baby. The picture where he's on his back with his eyes closed is so adorable! :D

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
your baby is adorable :heart:

Brianjaykay

Meeting neighbors
He is very cute! I can clearly see both species in him! still very curious to know if he is loud or quiet!

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
It's possible, but not advised because the two species' breeding together often causes premature death and other issues. I think I saw another person who had a sun-green hybrid on here who lost their baby at around a year or so.

RudyEnt

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rudy B.
Curious to know how the baby is doing now. If you could post a picture. I think it is very interesting. I did not think that cross was possible.

QuirkyCaique

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Wow beautiful! !!
Dang I didnt even know that was possible xD I want one now!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I know of a small breeder that had them but lost so many of the babies to illness from the hybridization that she won't breed them again. The one that she kept has continual health problems and recently had to have toes amputated and he gets random swelling issues in his feet. Just not advisable.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have gathered pictures of that cross and others in this album.... (please note, I do not own hybrids myself - these are not my birds)

Flickr: The Hybrid Parrots Pool

I have pictures of...

Green Cheek x Sun (including 1 cinnamon hybrid)
Green Cheek x Dusky
Green Cheek x Nanday

I do not have pictures of

Green Cheek x Patagonian
Maroon Bellied x Dusky
Black Capped x Sun (supposedly look a lot like the GC x Sun hybrids)

I don't know if these hybrids are fertile or not (I sure hope they aren't!), as they do suffer from foot deformities (not all hybrids do, but a high percentage of them do), they have failure to thrive as chicks, one died at 6 months old due to cancer.... I do know that these hybrids have survived into adult hood, however I do not know how old the oldest hybrid is.

I can only agree that it's not a good idea to produce these hybrids, considering the multiple health issues associated with them.

Louis and Rico

Moving in
Hi everyone, Not sure anymore. I was told that Louis was a green cheek conure by the breeder. Rico I was told was a Jenday conure. Rico is still a baby. only 16 weeks old. Someone told me that Louis is Pyrrhura conure and Rico is a Aratinga. Can someone help me here I am confused.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's correct.

Green cheeks are Pyrrhura molinae
Green-cheeked Conure (Pyrrhura molinae) | Parrot Encyclopedia

Jendays are Aratinga jandaya
Jandaya Conure (Aratinga jandaya) | Parrot Encyclopedia

Aratina and Pyrrhura just means what genera they belong to, such as dogs belonging to the canis genera. Jandaya and molinae refers to a specific species within that genus, although green cheek conures have various subspecies.

Although I have yet to come across a jenday x Pyrrhura hybrid, such a hybrid is possible - as you can see in this link (and the other that was provided to you). Your breeder must not be aware that they can indeed hybridize - which might be a good thing... since many of these hybrids tend to have birth defects and potentially health issues.

Louis and Rico

Moving in
Thanks for the info. What do I do then. I got Rico as a companion for when I am not home.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi everyone, Not sure anymore. I was told that Louis was a green cheek conure by the breeder. Rico I was told was a Jenday conure. Rico is still a baby. only 16 weeks old. Someone told me that Louis is Pyrrhura conure and Rico is a Aratinga. Can someone help me here I am confused.
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you. Just wanted to let you know that even though they are conures they are different genera.
They can still be friends, just don't cage them together and monitor and supervise when they are out and about.
Does your Jenday have lots of toys that she can shred and forage?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Don't encourage breeding between them, and if you see anything that could be nesty or hormonal, then discourage it - if they are of opposite genders.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What a cute baby. I hope he turns out healthy for his life.
I'm not against hybridizing birds on occasion when it's done with the bird's health in mind, but suns and greencheeks are a little distantly related for it to be a good idea. Despite both being conures, I think the Pyrrhuras (greencheeks) are more closely related to macaws than to Aratingas (suns). There can just be too many differences between them for hybridizing to always work out safely.
Now, someone here has a painted/GCC hybrid, that's an example of a 'good' hybrid. So few Painted conures were brought into the US that they are becoming very inbred, infertile, and unhealthy. But they have wonderful, sweet personalities and it would be a shame to lose them entirely as pets. So a little hybridizing with a closely related, healthy species can be a good thing, too.

J.Rome

Moving in
How is this even possible? They're not even in the same genus.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
How is this even possible? They're not even in the same genus.

There are several examples of entergeneric hybrids out there... such as goat x sheep... or perhaps chicken x pheasants... mallard duck x muscovy duck... or any hyacinth macaw x ara macaw (blue and gold, scarlet, greenwing, evenara hybrid!)

J.Rome

Moving in
There are several examples of entergeneric hybrids out there... such as goat x sheep... or perhaps chicken x pheasants... mallard duck x muscovy duck... or any hyacinth macaw x ara macaw (blue and gold, scarlet, greenwing, evenara hybrid!)
I guess you are right. I was doing a bit of searching and remembered this. It's a galah/cockatiel hybrid. :O

Attachments