• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure..Parakeet sized seed or Cockatile sized?

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I just got a baby GGC from someone who had NO IDEA what they were doing, it's on seeds, my other bird is on Zupreem medium sized but I feel like they may be a little too big for him. Is that size ok or would the smaller parakeet size be better...He is so small and tiny compared to what I'm use to so Im not sure what size is best. Also any tips on switching over. Ive mixed a 50/50 seed to pellet in his dish, looks like he ate some, they are in the water bowl. I just picked up a scale, so ill be watching the weight. So far one thing I have learned is throwing food EVERYWHERE is his thing..lol

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
I have my gcc on crumble sized pellets roundybush because thats what I ordered bulk for my parrotlet. I am going to go with a larger pellet next order because parrotlets don't care... Or at least he doesn't.. He can work a cashew, almond sliver you name it.
My main feed is sprouts and asst. veggies. Small amounts of fruit. They do get asst Nutriberries for breakfast. I am not a morning person..
There seed intake between the nutriberries and what seed, nut ,dried fruit they get on there play stand is equal to maybe a tsp maybe a little more a piece. My vet loves there weight and said their keels were very healthy fat to muscle.
I offer 7 diff veggies almost every day. All colors. That's me. Do what you can. You're are starting strong by asking.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I feed parakeet size food to my birds, even though most are larger than budgies! This helps to prevent waste and makes it easier for my largest to eat food. A green cheek could honestly eat anything from "parakeet" to "conure" sized! Some birds enjoy holding food in their feet so larger size is fine! Others may prefer smaller foods. Try both and see what your bird prefers!

You might also try offering seed lower down in the cage and pellets up higher. If he absolutely refuses to eat pellets at all, then you can try another method, but it doesn't sound necessary.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder