• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure making weird noise? Help?

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hey, so I just got my green cheek conure, Kiwi, a little over a week ago. (She is also my first parrot so I am new to all of this and I just have plenty of concerns, but I also do plenty of research.) We have already bonded pretty well, and I took her to the vet yesterday for a checkup, and let her listen to these sounds, and she says they are because she is content and not because she has any sort of respiratory infection since she didn't seem to be breathing hard during the checkup, but I am still a little concerned. Could it be from dry air? I went to visit the vet because she constantly scratches at her head, and the vet said it’s probably the dryness in my room and the changes of weather because she has no mites or lice whatsoever and she’s in good health. I’ll be getting a humidifier pretty soon, so maybe she’s making the noises because of clogged sinuses and lack of humidity? I also notice that sometimes when she makes the sound, she opens her mouth and presses her tongue against the roof of her mouth? It’s a cute squeaker toy noise, but I'm still unsure if that's normal/healthy. When I uncovered her cage this morning and she saw me, she gets excited and also slightly made the noise. I replace her food once a day and her water dish multiple times a day, and I do not have any candles or Teflon or anything she could breathe in that would be bad for her. Kiwi does grind her beak, and it is a distinct sound that I am already familiar with at this point and this is definitely not it. She makes them in her cage during bed time, when she sleeps/falling asleep, and when she snuggles into my neck to take a nap. She woke me up almost at exactly 4am for the past few night making that sound and also scratching at her head. Is she snoring? Is she content? Does anybody else’s conure / parrot of sorts make this sound?

[Side note: please excuse my legs in the video, I had to record her making the noises while she was on my shoulder and falling asleep I think? Just listen to her noises.]

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Can't tell for sure. Cheeky makes a similar noise sometimes when she's gently chewing my ear, but it's not with every breath

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Can't tell for sure. Cheeky makes a similar noise sometimes when she's gently chewing my ear, but it's not with every breath
She definitely does it quite often when snuggling or sleeping, but it doesn't seem to be out of stress. Maybe she's just unique with her noises?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Is she scratching her ear and doing a yawn at the same time? It could be a yeast infection in the sinus. Is this vet an avian vet that can accurately read a gram stain? That's how Dr. Orosz diagnosed mine although they weren't making that noise but doing a head scratching. She flushed their nares and then did a gram stain on the flush.

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Is she scratching her ear and doing a yawn at the same time? It could be a yeast infection in the sinus. Is this vet an avian vet that can accurately read a gram stain? That's how Dr. Orosz diagnosed mine although they weren't making that noise but doing a head scratching. She flushed their nares and then did a gram stain on the flush.
She has been scratching at the side of her head, which is her ears I guess, way too much and she has yawned while doing it. The vet said dry skin even though she didn't see any flakes. We both live in Ohio, could you tell me where I could get an accurate vet visit? Or DM me details? That sounds like it could be the problem and I'd like to get it treated.

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I
I called my vet and she said she can definitely do a gram stain and it will be cheaper since I visited yesterday, and I have an appointment set up! Hopefully we can get her treated since she said it isn’t terribly urgent.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I

I called my vet and she said she can definitely do a gram stain and it will be cheaper since I visited yesterday, and I have an appointment set up! Hopefully we can get her treated since she said it isn’t terribly urgent.
That’s great!