• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Great article about punishers and reinforcers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cory
I love all of Karon Pryor's writings! Thanks for sharing! :D

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I enjoyed that article a lot and it illustrates (much better than I can) the point that I make now and then, that it's "different strokes for different folks".
ML

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I sort of get it, although I would NEVER use any kind of physical abuse to train a animal.

This is what I think it means. My Aunt Sandy told that the worst thing she could do to punish my cousin Brent was to put him in the time out chair, he just couldn't stand to sit in one spot, but when she tried it with her daughter, Heather, it didn't have the same effect at all because Heather just amused herself. She sang, told herself stories, took her clothes off and put them back on. Time out was okay for her.

Ginger

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I sort of get it, although I would NEVER use any kind of physical abuse to train a animal.

This is what I think it means. My Aunt Sandy told that the worst thing she could do to punish my cousin Brent was to put him in the time out chair, he just couldn't stand to sit in one spot, but when she tried it with her daughter, Heather, it didn't have the same effect at all because Heather just amused herself. She sang, told herself stories, took her clothes off and put them back on. Time out was okay for her.

Ginger
Ginger I wouldn't use physical punishment of any kind either, and I seriously doubt Karen would, in fact, I think it's safe to say she wouldn't. But, the point is that punishment means that it causes a behavior to go down in frequency. Something aversive could be punishing, or it may not be. If something like hitting an animal does not make the behavior go down in frequency, it is not punishment it is just plain abuse with no behavioral outcome. I am not willing to use positive punishment (adding something aversive to change behavior, like hitting, jerking with a leash, poking or whatever) to change behavior because I can change it with just positive reinforcement.

Sometimes people will say "I did x" but I wasn't punishing them or the animal didn't feel it was being punished (don't get me started on how I feel when people start saying what an animal is "feeling", but I digress) anyway, they will say that they didn't "punish" the animal they just poked it, or jerked it, or squirted it, but the point is that if those things caused the behavior to go down in frequency it was punishment and was very likely aversive (or it wouldn't have changed the behavior).

What is punishing for one being may not be for another. If my husband gets mad and yells because, let's say, the bathtub gets clogged it is extremely aversive to my cattle dog Bill. It has no effect whatsoever on my Dachshund Winnie. He cannot yell around Bill, period, end of report or Bill will have an emotional meltdown.

Hope that makes sense.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Or like how my dog Amber finds most touch aversive ... there's one to wrap your head around (it's only taken me four years). I realized recently that I treat her like a parrot :lol: She LOVES excited drama as a reward, so that's what I use as a reinforcer most of the time.

Neat article. I tried to buy a Pryor book a couple of days ago, but it was out of stock. :(

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Or like how my dog Amber finds most touch aversive ... there's one to wrap your head around (it's only taken me four years). I realized recently that I treat her like a parrot :lol: She LOVES excited drama as a reward, so that's what I use as a reinforcer most of the time.

Neat article. I tried to buy a Pryor book a couple of days ago, but it was out of stock. :(

Which one? Reaching the Animal Mind? That is her newest one. At the APDT conference in October I was signing my books at the multi author book signing and got to sit next to her! I talked to her a lot, it was cool sitting there next to Karen Pryor:)

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
That article was great! Made me think of how my birds view their showers. Two are adversive towards them (wings closed tight, vocalizing displeasure). The other two find it stimulating (run down to me when they hear the shower running, hold open wings, bob around, even turn so their whole body can get soaked).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Great reading. :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Which one? Reaching the Animal Mind? That is her newest one. At the APDT conference in October I was signing my books at the multi author book signing and got to sit next to her! I talked to her a lot, it was cool sitting there next to Karen Pryor:)

I would love to have a list of your books!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.