• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gotta keep trying

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys. Anyone got a way of getting echo to eat fruit and veg. Iv tried with so much and she likes cooked peas and raw spinach but seems to only nibble on the spinach. With other fruit and veg she either ignores it or throws it about.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Present it in different sizes. Sometimes they like pieces in certain sizes.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know most people advise against having their bird in the kitchen, for obvious reasons. But I let Elvis "help" me prep food and that's actually how he started eating fruits and vegetables for me. When I'm chopping up vegetables, he's very interested in what I'm doing and wants to taste them. So I feed him pieces as I work (and he usually uses me as a napkin). Then of course, when it's time to actually cook, I put him back in his cage.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
My Umbrella refused to eat a lot of things like noodles, bananas some other fruits, etc. In fact, if it wasn’t fresh chunks of sweet potatoes, his pellets, fresh pear, or fresh melon chunks; he wasn’t eating it. I wanted him to start having some variety like noodles, rice, etc etc.

One day I was cooking spaghetti with rotini noodles and I tried to give him some noodles, of course he threw them right on the ground. So I took a little peanut butter (which he LOVES). While the noodles were still hot I stirred them with peanut butter, just a little bit, enough to make a coating on the noodles and that’s it. Because otherwise he would just pick off the peanut butter. When I did that he ate the noodles right up. Now I can give him plain noodles and we will eat them. I did the same to rice, banana chunks, etc. Never enough peanut butter where he can just pick it off. Just enough to flavor whatever it is, then I gradually back off on the peanut butter and he will eat whatever it is plain now. Except brown rice, I don’t know why he doesn’t like that plain.

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She likes her fruit in tiny pieces. So i get scissors and cuts up loads of spinach and kale in to small bits and low and behold she ate them :) thanks for the suggestions guys