• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got my new burb!

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
And she already "punished" me like her previous owner warned me she would. To be fair, she tricked me lol. I am excited to work in forming a bond with her I know it is going to be a lot of work but Im up for it :) tried to upload a pic of her but I need to first figure out how to change the file format may have to send to my computer to do that lol! Anywho shes a white belly 3 years old

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
And she already "punished" me like her previous owner warned me she would. To be fair, she tricked me lol. I am excited to work in forming a bond with her I know it is going to be a lot of work but Im up for it :) tried to upload a pic of her but I need to first figure out how to change the file format may have to send to my computer to do that lol! Anywho shes a white belly 3 years old
try clicker training. my two are crazy about it! Try not to choose walnuts as the treat. Too much is bad for the kidneys. I'm weaning mine off them, they love them!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Does she have a name?

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
try clicker training. my two are crazy about it! Try not to choose walnuts as the treat. Too much is bad for the kidneys. I'm weaning mine off them, they love them!
Her owner said she loves peanuts but i swore i read those arent great for them what would be a good reward treat that isnt overly bad for them? I guess ill get a clicker while im at it

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome and congratulations!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Peanut shells are the problem because in the growing process they may have a mold inside the shell which can expose the meat of the nut. As a general rule knowledgeable parrot people avoid them. There are so many options for treats like popcorn, almonds, grapes and so on. Have fun with her. You are in the honeymoon stage for a few weeks.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Her owner said she loves peanuts but i swore i read those arent great for them what would be a good reward treat that isnt overly bad for them? I guess ill get a clicker while im at it
almonds are the healthiest. Mine don't care for them so I'm giving them bits of shelled sunflower seeds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
To change the name, you can either just change it and never say the old name, or you can say both and eventually drop one.

Can't wait to see your pix.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
Peanut shells are the problem because in the growing process they may have a mold inside the shell which can expose the meat of the nut. As a general rule knowledgeable parrot people avoid them. There are so many options for treats like popcorn, almonds, grapes and so on. Have fun with her. You are in the honeymoon stage for a few weeks.
by honeymoon stage do you mean she hates me? haha shes definitely mad being here but hopefully I can win her over. :) she was very bonded to the guy but also liked the wife as well just preferred the guy. and yep i was thinking of unsalted popcorn and grapes! thanks for the tips!

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
almonds are the healthiest. Mine don't care for them so I'm giving them bits of shelled sunflower seeds.
Haha! Mine love almonds, and hate sunflower seeds!!
I use safflower seeds for training, sometimes tiny pieces of walnut. I mean 1/4 walnut chopped into 12 pieces. It only takes a tiny piece for training!

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I would call her "Trinity TIDSEY" and eventually drop the Trinity. They are pretty close, I don't think it will be an issue.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations on your new fid. My only advice would be to back off and take it slow. My sun conure was aggressive when I first adopted him (age 5). I think it was because he was scared and missed his original mum, but he lunged and threatened to bite, but never actually followed through, probably because I never gave him the opportunity to reach my skin on those early days / weeks. He also refused to leave his cage, even though I always left his cage door open if I was in the room. I started off just offering treats in his treat bowl, making sure he saw it was me dropping them in there. Progressed to him taking them from my hand through the bars. If he lunged, I took that as a sign I was going too fast and went back to dropping them in his treat bowl. Once he was reliably taking them from my hand without lunging, only then did I move onto clicker training. He already knew "step up" from his original mum, so we started there. As he still refused to leave his cage, we did this from inside the cage. That may not work for all birds, as lots don't like hands in their cage - but it was ok for us. Anyway we did "step up", "click" = reward, then "down" "click" = reward. At first, he was rewarded for just being prepared to step towards me, then one claw on me, finally two claws. I always immediately did the "down" command, so he'd see that agreeing to step up didn't mean the human was going to take him away from his safe place (cage). When he was reliably doing that, I positioned his play stand so that a branch stuck into his cage. To get the treat he now had to step onto the play stand first and walk outside the cage before stepping up.

In between the clicker training, I sat watching TV in the same room, but not looking at him, with my other bird crawling happily all over me. I hoped this showed him I was safe and not a predator.

Eventually he flew from his open cage to me and our bond was complete. From that day, he decided I was his. All this took about 5 months- so patience is required.

Try not to get into a situation where your new bird bites you. You don't want to teach him that biting is the way he can get want he wants. Try to do everything with his consent and with positive reinforcement.

I swear it was the clicker that made the difference. Just don't rush it. As yours has already bitten you, I would do clicker target training, instead of "step up" training. Only move onto to step up once you're fairly confident of no bite. It may take a while to learn his body language.
Good luck

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
I would call her "Trinity TIDSEY" and eventually drop the Trinity. They are pretty close, I don't think it will be an issue.
Thats what i was aiming for similar but something i liked more thank you

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
Congratulations on your new fid. My only advice would be to back off and take it slow. My sun conure was aggressive when I first adopted him (age 5). I think it was because he was scared and missed his original mum, but he lunged and threatened to bite, but never actually followed through, probably because I never gave him the opportunity to reach my skin on those early days / weeks. He also refused to leave his cage, even though I always left his cage door open if I was in the room. I started off just offering treats in his treat bowl, making sure he saw it was me dropping them in there. Progressed to him taking them from my hand through the bars. If he lunged, I took that as a sign I was going too fast and went back to dropping them in his treat bowl. Once he was reliably taking them from my hand without lunging, only then did I move onto clicker training. He already knew "step up" from his original mum, so we started there. As he still refused to leave his cage, we did this from inside the cage. That may not work for all birds, as lots don't like hands in their cage - but it was ok for us. Anyway we did "step up", "click" = reward, then "down" "click" = reward. At first, he was rewarded for just being prepared to step towards me, then one claw on me, finally two claws. I always immediately did the "down" command, so he'd see that agreeing to step up didn't mean the human was going to take him away from his safe place (cage). When he was reliably doing that, I positioned his play stand so that a branch stuck into his cage. To get the treat he now had to step onto the play stand first and walk outside the cage before stepping up.

In between the clicker training, I sat watching TV in the same room, but not looking at him, with my other bird crawling happily all over me. I hoped this showed him I was safe and not a predator.

Eventually he flew from his open cage to me and our bond was complete. From that day, he decided I was his. All this took about 5 months- so patience is required.

Try not to get into a situation where your new bird bites you. You don't want to teach him that biting is the way he can get want he wants. Try to do everything with his consent and with positive reinforcement.

I swear it was the clicker that made the difference. Just don't rush it. As yours has already bitten you, I would do clicker target training, instead of "step up" training. Only move onto to step up once you're fairly confident of no bite. It may take a while to learn his body language.
Good luck

This was super helpful and sounds completely reasonable!! Thank you!!!

Reactions: TWR

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
So very cute!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Welcome and congrats on your new bird. Time and patience. Moving to fast will only make it take longer (much longer). Take it slow.