• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got My Dream Fish!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
It's the only food my insanely spoiled clownfish eats. The shrimp love it too!!

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I thought they lives mostly off life food that grow on the reef rocks you keep in a salt water tank? That is why the tank has to be up and well extablished like yours is before you get one.
That is why a 55 gallon tank and plenty of rock is also recommended. If you get one that won't take prepared food (and many won't) then you will have to be committed to culturing and/or buying pods for them which can be expensive.

Yay!:laughing12: Rod's is good stuff. My fish love it too.
That is great that she took some Rod's. Mine love it too!

Dana64

Walking the driveway
She ate a little bit of Rod's food!!! I did a mix of some copepods and Rod's food and she was excited! I'm feeding her with a syringe right now. The rock in my tank has been cured for over 4 years now, so I have a ton of copepods on it. I just need to make sure to supplement until I get the refugium and separate culture going.

Sounds like alot of work but a labour of love... I have fresh water aquariums... my mother has a saltwater setup that is her pride and joy but she is a slave to it ... while I would also love a saltwater setup, I already have too much on my plate... maybe when the kids are a little older and and more self-sufficient...

She is a beautiful fish! Enjoy her!

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I don't have corals in this tank... my previous tank set up at my parents house, I had corals and it was a lot of work.

Right now, I have liverock- my crabs, shrimp, clownfish, and now my mandarin. It's a lot easier to manage because corals are very finicky!! Though now the work did increase with the mandarin! I would never recommend someone to get a mandarin without doing extensive research! They are not a beginner fish! This has been years in the making!!

Angela_tiger_1999

Real Name
Angela
I've been wanting a mandarin dragonette for the last 5 years. Ever since I've started into saltwater tanks. I have read everything I can. I've read forums. People's experiences. They are a difficult fish to own. They eat live foods called copepods. They're the teeniest saltwater critters. It's possible to get them to eat frozen foods and that's going to be what I start to attempt once he settles in.
Until he's trained to eat frozen, I'm going to dish out a small fortune on the live copepods. I'm going to attempt to start my own culture of copepods- I've researched how but it's a specialized process and there are many factors

I am so in love. I almost cried when I bought him!! I wasn't planning on it today. I went to one of my favorite pet stores and they were having a sale. And there was a tank with a few of them in there. I saw him and almost passed out. He was so FAT and healthy looking! I've never seen one that fat in a pet store before. My boyfriend encouraged me and I couldn't say no...

I haven't named him yet.

I'm so nervous!!! I'm going to start my copepod culture tomorrow and I'm going to order more pods online. But I have them available at the store near me if I need more.

Anyway- here he is! He's stunning. I wish I had a better camera so I can really show you guys how amazing he is!

:omg: This is my dream fish as well!! They all the whole reason I wanted to start a salt water tank!!! I spent the better part of two years right out of high school researching salt water tanks..I have a notebook that I started with tons of info in it, I think it's one of those big 6 inch binders and it's overflowing! I have never started a saltwater tank though (we have two large freshwater tanks)...I think i'm to chicken! I know how hard it can be and even the littlest mistake can result in disaster. But if I ever take the leap I will have this fish!! But for now I am going to stay focused on taking the leap into being a red belly parrot owner, can't wait until February! Please keep us posted on how he does, reading how hard they are to keep scares me also..so I will be looking forward to checking up on yours..hes beautiful :dancing:

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
:omg: it's gorgeous! I have never seen a fish like that before. The colors are amazing.

Jess

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jess
Awww, I had one of those when i had a SW tank a few years ago. He ate anything though, any frozen food that was put in he'd hoover up :D

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
:omg:!!!! She's beyond gorgeous!!! My long time dream has been to have a 55gal FOWLR tank. *sigh* someday, maybe.
Congrats on your GEORGEOUS, and truely STUNNING beauty!!! :dance4:

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow they look so exquisite! :omg:Definitely does not sound like a beginner fish. Good luck with him :D

MBS

Jogging around the block
She's gorgeous. I hope you do well with the copepods for your beautiful fish.

I know nothing about saltwater fish or tanks. I have always wanted a saltwater tank, but that will have to wait a while.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Those are some intense colors.
Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.