• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Got a piece of chocolate brownie

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
My baby bird just was able to grab a brownie crumb from my shirt (I had just eaten a brownie)
And I got it out of her mouth immediately, but I think she was able to swallow a few tiny bits. Should I call the animal poison control hotline? I'm on vacation with no access to an avian vet.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Okay! That's for all the advice! I think I'll just watch her very carefully to make sure she doesn't seem sick at all. I'm super new to being a parront (1 week to this day!) so I want to make sure my baby is as healthy as possible:)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I do think if it was just a small part of a crumb it probably will be OK.

I looked up cocoa & its one of the most concentrated forms of the 2 substances but thats a cup of it.
Dark & unweetened chocolate are higher too.

Brownies could be made with either but its distributed in a large amount of flour & sugar.

The amount of chocolate in a fraction of a crumb or even a small crumb probably won;t hurt as its mostly flour/ sugar.

A crumb size piece of dark chocolate or a chocolate chip might not be so good.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She'll probably be ok, make sure she gets a good drink and watch her.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
A tiny bit of brownie is harmless. Only a small % of it is even actual chocolate.
As far as I know, there's no specific info on how much is needed to be toxic, but it seems that, like with dogs, it takes quite a lot to make them sick. I've heard of people giving larger parrots like amazons and macaws M&Ms and chocolate kisses with no apparent harm - not that this is something recommended, as individuals probably vary in the amount of chocolate they can tolerate. But an accidental tiny nibble now and then is very unlikely to cause any harm.

Last edited: