• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got a new budgie, need advice.

MangoTheBird

Moving in
So, the breeder I had originally got my first bird from was wayy better than this lady but I moved so I couldn't go back to him.

Anyways, this Saturday I got a new budgie and the breeder said it was a Female. My question is, how should a new budgie be behaving? Kira(My budgie) sleeps alot and won't play with her toys.(She's eating & drinking)

She'll occasionally jump out of her cage and just explore the room but that's really it. Once she's done, she'll climb jump back up into her cage and just preen then sleep.

She's clipped because that damn lady clipped all their wings.
Her poop is watery green. It comes out with the white(pee) and brown which then turns coal black. (Is this an indication of something?)

Will include a pic I took while writing this.(The cage she is standing on is my lovies travel cage. She was walking around the room)

Attachments

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
She should be going to an avian vet anyway, all birds need a new bird exam in my opinion.

The poop, I'm not sure what it could mean, but the vet can always check it and look under a microscope to see what's up. She's probably very scared, seeing as she's in a brand new environment. You've only had her for a few days, she needs time to settle in. The sleeping a lot could also be a sign of illness, another reason to see the vet.

If you think something is off, take her to the vet. That's what I do and it's never steered me wrong.

I agree though, she is very cute.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I would also agree that A vet visit is a good idea with every new bird but the sleeping and preening is normal as is her not really playing with toys. She is in a strange new place and is scared. Talk gently to her and maybe let her get accustomed to her new cage before allowing her out. She is eating and drinking so that's great. She is adorable. I truly wish breeders would stop with the wing clipping!!!

MangoTheBird

Moving in
I would also agree that A vet visit is a good idea with every new bird but the sleeping and preening is normal as is her not really playing with toys. She is in a strange new place and is scared. Talk gently to her and maybe let her get accustomed to her new cage before allowing her out. She is eating and drinking so that's great. She is adorable. I truly wish breeders would stop with the wing clipping!!!
As I am typing this she's currently running/walking around the room and eating some of the seed I placed so she can "forge" around for different treats while my lovie is on my shoulder. So should I leave her in her cage for a few more days to get used to her surroundings? Also, thank you for your kind words. I too think they should stop clipping the wings.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
She really should have been quarantined from any other birds you have as a precaution and yes I would let her become accustomed to her cage and getting around in it before letting her out to explore. Especially with clipped wings she must rely on her climbing ability and her cage is really the safest place. If she is anything like mine it won't take long. When she seems more relaxed and adept in her cage you can start the finger training.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hi Kira you are very pretty. I am sorry a bad human cut your ability to fly.

I would not be too concerned about the behavior you describe because this is what a new bird usually does until they feel secure in a new setting. Please try to keep her off the floor. Its a dangerous place for a little bird. Its important that she gets a wellness check by a vet.

Also important that he gets exercise on a routine basis. A tall ladder or two will help. Hopefully she will do some wing flapping. You can play sounds of budgies from you tube and she may respond. What are you feeding her and what does she eat? Poop color is usually based on diet.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think that behavior sounds quite normal. She'd need her sleep to compensate for the stress of being in a new place, and the watery poop is probably an indication of the stress too. Also not all birds are alike, maybe yours is of the calm type, but as others have said, a vet check is a good idea with any new bird, + quarantine if you have others

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Your budgie is super cute! Its a shame the breeder cut her wings I wish they didn’t do it unless it was for a medical reason. Not sure about the poop so I won’t comment.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Like others above have said, this is normal behaviour from a new bird. No need to worry.
Like all new pets though, a trip to the vet for a general checkup is needed, and make sure you are using proper quarantine measures for at least 30 days.

BTW, from the pic that you posted, it looks like your Kira is actually a male. Can you post another pic from the front in natural light?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I have nothing to add that everyone else has already said- but what a little cutie! I think its a boy too, because my Flynn has similar colouring and the same colour on his cere and he is actually male!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
She is very pretty but seems to young to tell if its a male or female..
It's been clearly stated by the OP that she's a girl, and I agree, she's a very pretty girl.
She's in a new cage, in a new home, with a new human. It will take a while for her to settle in and feel safe, nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
looks to be a male to me aswell

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Kira is so pretty <3

Do remember to keep a close eye on any interaction between your budgie and lovebird. Lovebirds may bully budgies and injure them.

One of my lovebirds bit Snowy and held on until I intervened. I had to grab and restrain Snowy to stop the bleeding and since then Snowy has always had a bent toe and wonky nail; plus a fear of me.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@MangoTheBird Your Kira is beautiful, and I just wanted to welcome you here. I hope Kira is doing well, it's been a week since your original post, are there updates? :welcomeavenue:

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
She is a GORGEOUS bird! Welcome to the group! I'm a new owner myself and following what I had been told for choosing M/F birds... I've been WRONG twice so far! Lol! Their ceres change as they age and I'm learning those baby ceres can be VERY deceiving! Two of my he's turned out to be she's... so far!:yahoo: