• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goodbye Mr. Skunky "graphic,"

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Was talking to my neighbor tonight, something got 6 of his chickens, tore them up, didnt eat them..but he found them with no heads.. then he said he found Mr. Skunky, tore up in his yard.:(.Askked me when was the last time I smelled Mr. Skunky, I said a few days ago..that's about when he found him... That skunk has been around for a few years here, I've seen his cute little butt in the yard and definitely smelled him, ..my freind across the way has seen him in her yard, and her dog has gotten sprayed a few times..now, we want to know what is going on, theres hawks, owls, coyotes, even the mountain lion, or cougar, whatever that was I saw in my backyard a few months ago..but, wouldn't the coyotes, cougar, eat the prey, and not just mangle it? Could it be a dog? Rest in peace Mr. Skunky, I will miss your little black and white tail rummaging around my yard. :sorrow:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry about Mr. Skunky :sorrow: R.I.P.

I'm not sure what it could have been, maybe someone else knows?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so very sorry sorry

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I'm so sorry to hear :(

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Aww thats just awful :( Hopefully yall find the cause. Sorry about the chickens and Mr. Skunky :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
wouldn't the coyotes, cougar, eat the prey, and not just mangle it?
Sorry to hear that.

You can only eat so much. A lot of wild animals go on a killing frenzy. A ferret would be a good example and also a likely culprit.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My first guess would be a dog. Every time my friends lose livestock in a killing frenzy, especially chickens, it's always someone's loose dog.

Foxes also have a habit of killing multiple prey animals at a time, but usually they'll cache their kills underground.

RIP Skunky and chickens :sorrow:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry to hear that.

You can only eat so much. A lot of wild animals go on a killing frenzy. A ferret would be a good example and also a likely culprit.
That's interesting, I haven't seen any ferrets around, but, wouldn't a huge skunk be able to take a ferret? We have alot of wildlife out here, and have seen a few foxes...We will alert the other people in the area, some of them have chickens also..

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My first guess would be a dog. Every time my friends lose livestock in a killing frenzy, especially chickens, it's always someone's loose dog.

Foxes also have a habit of killing multiple prey animals at a time, but usually they'll cache their kills underground.

RIP Skunky and chickens :sorrow:
But why take only the heads?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That's interesting, I haven't seen any ferrets around, but, wouldn't a huge skunk be able to take a ferret? We have alot of wildlife out here, and have seen a few foxes...We will alert the other people in the area, some of them have chickens also..
A Ferret is a ferocious killer. It will take on things much bigger than itself. A skunk is more like a house cat.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how awful. I’m so sorry about the chickens and Mr. Skunky.:(

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Was talking to my neighbor tonight, something got 6 of his chickens, tore them up, didnt eat them..but he found them with no heads.. then he said he found Mr. Skunky, tore up in his yard.:(.Askked me when was the last time I smelled Mr. Skunky, I said a few days ago..that's about when he found him... That skunk has been around for a few years here, I've seen his cute little butt in the yard and definitely smelled him, ..my freind across the way has seen him in her yard, and her dog has gotten sprayed a few times..now, we want to know what is going on, theres hawks, owls, coyotes, even the mountain lion, or cougar, whatever that was I saw in my backyard a few months ago..but, wouldn't the coyotes, cougar, eat the prey, and not just mangle it? Could it be a dog? Rest in peace Mr. Skunky, I will miss your little black and white tail rummaging around my yard. :sorrow:
Oh NO :( Those poor poor chickens. Poor Mr. Skunky too.. that is so brutal. :sad5::sad5::sad5:

That type of killing sounds like a weasel. They are notorious for only taking highly nutritious bits and killing many. It is normal for them to eat livers, hearts and eyes... So dark and tragic.

Foxes can also do mass killings, but they normally take the kills to bury for later.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sorry to hear about the chickens and Mr. Skunky. I've had neighborhood cats decimate my litters of wild bunnies around my house. It's one of the reasons I can't stand cats that are allowed to roam. The first time I went to turn on an outdoor faucet in a long planter in front of my house and as I was reaching through the flowers there was a dead baby bunny without a head. Of course, I stood up and looked back to the street thinking "Alright, who was the sicko that put this here". Then I searched the rest of the planter and found four others also dead. Momma bunny that hung around our house had her babies right under our noses next to the house and some cat found them. Now... I could only suppose it was a cat that time... but the next time she had her babies in my back yard under some thick brush. I went outside with one of my dogs in the back ( always with a leash and under my arm until I see its safe) and I spy a big cat hunkered in the yard. Take the dog back in and grab a flashlight. Sure enough, a big tom cat is eating a baby bunny head first and half of it already gone. Lined up in a perfect row behind the cat was four more bodies... a couple missing heads. I chased that stupid cat off and gathered the dead babies. My guess for your chickens though would be a fox but what critter would go for a skunk? It's been quite a few years but I know of a couple of neighbors on my street whose cats were killed by some animal and left on their lawns. It would'nt have happened to their pets if they had taken them inside instead of letting them roam the night. It would be a horrible way to discover a loved pet.