• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goodbye, Agave....

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just euthanized my darling guppy girl, Agave. She's always had growth issues, and this past month she got pretty bad. :( She was mended, or so I thought, because tonight when I was tucking everyone in, I found her flipped on her side and suffering.
I had her for almost two years. She turned two just last week. :)
So yeah, I just finished the whole thing (I used clove oil and vodka) and she's sitting there peacefully. :)
I'm am so sad. To some people she's just a fish, but she's just as important to me as my birds of human family.
RIP Agave. :heart:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
So sorry for your loss Pigster :hug8: Fish are people too :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
My dad was nice and let me use his vodka, but at first he was telling me all about ''back in the day'' euthanasia. You can imagine that didn't help!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry pigster.

I can remember when I thought parrots were "just a Bird". Just requires a little quality time spent together to realize the difference.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
im sorry :(...but it warms my heart that you are as compassionate for fishes as the other creatures :heart:

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:sadhug2: Sorry for your loss but well done for ending her suffering quickly. A lot of people seem not to care when it comes to fish, but they shouldn't have to suffer just because they can't make a sound.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you all so much. :) There is some guilt regarding her death, so I might as well tell you nice people.
When she was about 8 months, I put her in a too-tiny tank to clean, and she jumped out. She had a bunch of problems, but they were all treated.
Eventually, they caught up with her, so I knew the time had come. :(

Anyhow, I have no clue how I'll bury her because the ground is frozen hard.
Thanks so much for your kind words. They mean a lot. :)

kimmie99

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kim Gibson
Thank you all so much. :) There is some guilt regarding her death, so I might as well tell you nice people.
When she was about 8 months, I put her in a too-tiny tank to clean, and she jumped out. She had a bunch of problems, but they were all treated.
Eventually, they caught up with her, so I knew the time had come. :(

Anyhow, I have no clue how I'll bury her because the ground is frozen hard.
Thanks so much for your kind words. They mean a lot. :)
Don't feel quilty! You gave her love and remember that! She lived for sometime after that incident, you learned from it and that's that!

I know what you mean about the ground being too hard. With the thought of my daughters cat and having to put him down (when it's time), not sure where we'll bury him either since we have the same problem! Temps are supposed to get to the mid to high 60s this weekend, I'm half tempted to dig something and put something in it as a temporary filler!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't feel quilty! You gave her love and remember that! She lived for sometime after that incident, you learned from it and that's that!

I know what you mean about the ground being too hard. With the thought of my daughters cat and having to put him down (when it's time), not sure where we'll bury him either since we have the same problem! Temps are supposed to get to the mid to high 60s this weekend, I'm half tempted to dig something and put something in it as a temporary filler!
:) I have all my larger pets cremated, but I don't really know if Cornell's crematory will cremate guppies. :)
I have it easy: just a small chip in the ground. :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
My pets get buried but probably should look into cremation as I might run out of room someday! That or Pet Cemetary is going to get VERY big! I have the acreage (for now).
I don't bury pets because I used to move very often, and I dreaded the idea of leaving them behind!! :(

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I know it hurts and you were very brave. You could put her in the freezer until the thaw and then have a little ceremony.
Good idea, except my dad would:
A. Joke about eating her.
B. Eat her. (I'm not kidding)
or
C. Freak out that there's a dead fish in our freezer. (he sticks dead fish from the store in there all the time!)