• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good toys? And other questions.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don't know if it is, I just find those coconuts cute :D
I find those coconuts very adorable too.
I have one for Burt that I used just to put dry treats in but now I stuff it full with shredded paper and hide foot toys and treats through it. Burt was getting annoyed because he kept trying to put his head into it and the holes are too small for his huge head (@Macawnutz told me he has a massive head:roflmao:)

I can only imagine how cute a budgie or parottlet inside the coconut would look.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@sunnysmom, when I had budgies they all used to love anything that would roll. Small balls, pens, straws and basically anything cylindrical that they could roll. Keys were also always a winner with them all as well as anything shiny.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I live in a city. So yes, trees, but not sure I how safe they are. Maybe when I visit my parents over the holidays.
They would be safe but you'd have to take them in the shower to remove dust and such. Overwise, you take a little driving trip to the closest wood. Take a walk in fresh air at the same time :dance4:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It is. P'let by definition are cute any time. The cutest little devils ever.. :angelic:

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I simply scoured Amazon of all the colorful small bird toys and let him choose.
46517256_10155776016296911_1486907468737937408_n.jpg

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
:huh: Don't you have trees where you live?! :blink: Like you know.. outside, for free, where you can cut the exact size you need.. :geek:
:lol: Not all trees are safe to be used for perches. You have to figure out what kind of trees you have and then find out if the wood is toxic to parrots. And we actually don’t have any trees on our property. So nope!

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
lol it is sad that I live in the woods but never thought to go get branches and make my own perches until this thread. How do you know what is safe, and do you have to clean them etc? I am sure this has been discussed before, can someone point me to the thread?

And that coconut picture is toooooooo cute! ❤

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
lol it is sad that I live in the woods but never thought to go get branches and make my own perches until this thread. How do you know what is safe, and do you have to clean them etc? I am sure this has been discussed before, can someone point me to the thread?

And that coconut picture is toooooooo cute! ❤
Wow, your local pet store is certainly very happy that you never thought of getting your own -free- perches from the woods! :rofl: Don't know where you live, I am in the taïga and all local trees here are safe (birch, pine, spruce, ash, poplar). I never take perches from the garden since I know some trees are OK and some are not, but I'm not really good at identifying trees/bushes so I won't risk it. If you know what you have, just check it up against the species of birds you have.

Thanks, I love that picture too :heart:

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I edited my former answer, thanks for the warning!

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
Haha! Very true. But in my defense this is my first bird, and it was supposed to be my partner's bird, not mine. I shall investigate this! And thank you for the link, Tka!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Getting perches from outdoor trees still requires some time and effort to ID the trees, clean the branches and make sure there's no bad bugs you're bringing in or raccoon poop or something on them that might be harmful to your bird. I always take awhile having to soak them in heated water and peel off the bark on some types of trees. Plus then there's the process of getting them to fit safely and firmly in place in their cage. It can be easier to buy one with the screw and wingnut on the end if you don't have a lot of free time.