• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good Pellets for Conure

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
What is a good pellet brand? What do you use?
I was going to use Zupreem Natural Pellets but then I heard that Zupreem isn't that good. So I started looking at Harrisons which I thought looked good but then I stumbled upon some people that said that was bad. I've also looked at Bird Tricks pellets, they advertise it as the best option. Is it?
So I'm stuck! What do you guys think is the best?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
As many suggest, any fortified pellet is good. Harrison's is fine, some do not like the fact the peanuts are used in it.

I offer a variety here from Roudybush to Harrison's. I have two that like Pretty Bird Natural Gold as well. Times like this, I wish they'd eat the Zupreem Natural in all honesty!

I can attest to Harrison's being a good diet. My parrotlet ate that most of his life and lived to be almost 16.

SgtNikola

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
I give Nika Roudybush, and a lot of veg. I used Zupreem to switch her from seed to pellet, then I switched her to Roudybush. She's not a big pellet fan (prefers her veggies), but she seems to enjoy Roudybush

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I’ve tried Roudbush California style, Tops, Harrison’s, Tropican, and Zupreme just trying to find something Gus would eat. I adopted him from someone who had fed him cockatiel seed mix. We’ve migrated to cooked and raw veggies, fruit, some cooked bird food, and pellets in the evening. What they will eat is what I will feed, as far as pellets are concerned.:shrug3:

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
Whatever they'll eat :lol:

I feed Roudybush and he loves it, so I'm happy. Heard some birds can be incredibly picky with pellets.
Are you feeding him the Roudybush Maintenence Diet or the California Blend?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feed Mazuri to mine. The chicks are hand fed Mazuri formula, then weaned onto ZuPreem Natural. If we decide to keep one for future breeding, they are switched back to Mazuri. They won't touch Roudybush, or Harrisons. On the other hand, the macaws will only eat ZuPreem, and refuse to even touch the Mazuri pellets.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
California blend is nice. My Red Lored Amazon likes this. It is just more expensive then all the others. Prices keep going up on it too.

But I have used this one for years.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
All of my birds including my conure eat Roudybush. That's what they were weaned onto, however. I mix a little Harrisons in but I find incredibly expensive. My AV prefers Roudybush, so I stick with it. I'm not sure about Bird Tricks, I've come to not care for them lately. I have some of their dvds and find them kind of gimmicky.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
You may want to also look into Goldenfeast, I believe the Goldn’obles II are the size for conures. I have 2 budgies and have tried many brands, and they picked GF. Too bad they just discontinued the extra small though :(

As everyone said, the important thing is that they eat them. Good luck finding what works for you and your bird!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My conure likes Mazuri Small Bird Maintenance. I tried Oven Fresh Bites and Roudybush with him but he wouldn't eat those.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My conure likes Mazuri Small Bird Maintenance. I tried Oven Fresh Bites and Roudybush with him but he wouldn't eat those.
Do you find that your conures like one pellet size over the other?

I was feeding the small bird maintenance, and some birds would only eat the small pellets, some would only eat the larger ones. I thought of just moving the food dishes around to cut down on the waste, but didn't want to transfer droppings in the food from one cage to another. I ended up moving them back to the breeder formula for the consistent pellet size and less waste.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The one that they eat, do well on, and that you can afford ;)

My favorites are Hagen Tropican and Harrison's, but there are a lot of options to choose from!

Pellets for Parrots

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you find that your conures like one pellet size over the other?

I was feeding the small bird maintenance, and some birds would only eat the small pellets, some would only eat the larger ones. I thought of just moving the food dishes around to cut down on the waste, but didn't want to transfer droppings in the food from one cage to another. I ended up moving them back to the breeder formula for the consistent pellet size and less waste.

Haven't noticed any difference regarding which size he eats. Not the first thing he chooses to eat but at least he is eating them as opposed to the other pellets I tried. I don't feel that there is a huge difference in the size of the pellets in the small bird maintenance. Years ago I fed him Zupreem fruit flavored pellets and those were all different shapes and sizes. He was weaned onto those by the breeder and he liked them but I wanted to switch him over to a better pelleted food.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I feed zupreem Natural and roudybush to all of my birds. I've tried the Tops, none of them attempt to eat them outside of my male amazon ... lately he's been eating some of the tops with his zupreem. I also have Caitec fresh bites and none are that interested in eating those either. I have ordered from Unapproved Vendor's Dailies on their last sale of the Better bites in several flavors. I'm waiting on those to come and hope they like them.... great ingredients. The main staple in pellets here is Zupreem though. I do like to feed a variety of extra pellets as well as fresh vegetables and some cooked grains.

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn

Daily Maintenance (mini); chewy doesn't seem to carry the california blend & I'm not sure how he'd take to the dried bits. Wouldn't mind trying eventually though.

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
I think I'm going to try Roudybush first. They seem trustworthy and their pellets aren't too expensive! Let's hope my bird will like them!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think I'm going to try Roudybush first. They seem trustworthy and their pellets aren't too expensive! Let's hope my bird will like them!

If you email them, they are usually really good about sending samples :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder