• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good or bad Signs

Nina23e

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alina Mirza
Hi! First i love you all thankyou for so much support. I think i am getting there with Rolo now he sit for a while on the perch close to me but not too close and make some very quite sounds( sometimes)and i praise a lot and then goes back to bitting the cage and i go out of the room to show i m not interested it that. M i doing it right? Hugs xx

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Side Bump.gif

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is this with the cage open or closed? He may want to come out - but only if you're ready and have a few hours to spare

Nina23e

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alina Mirza
I did try letting him out for a couple of weeks wen i got him but it was getting very dificult to get him back in the cage. He is been bitting the cage from day one. So someone suggested to let him stay in until he is settled. He has broken a lot of the bars on the cage aswell‍♀. Just took some toys out as the pet store guy said maybe he is feeling too cramped in the cage. He( Rolo) is very clever beyond my thoughts. So i m just giving him time how much ever he wants to settle in.
Is this with the cage open or closed? He may want to come out - but only if you're ready and have a few hours to spare

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How long has he been with you? He is not enjoying being in the cage. If he came to you hand fed and tamed then keeping him locked up is not doing your relationship any favours. The more he's locked in the less he'll want to go back in his cage - you're already experiencing this. If he's breaking the bars then he's getting desperate.
If you do decide to let him out make sure the room is safe for him and no food outside of the cage. Is he stepping up? That would be a great way to bring him out, doing something nice for him. If you have the time don't close the cage as soon as he goes back in, let him eat and come back out for a second time. He already knows there is food in there, you just need to show him it's not a trap. When he's out stay away from the cage.
Any birb getting that freedom for the first time will not want to go back in. In the end an empty crop will make it necessary for them to go back in on their own.
When you get a good daily routine like this he'll soon settle when he's in the cage, because he'll know that he will be coming out again.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How long has he been with you? He is not enjoying being in the cage. If he came to you hand fed and tamed then keeping him locked up is not doing your relationship any favours. The more he's locked in the less he'll want to go back in his cage - you're already experiencing this. If he's breaking the bars then he's getting desperate.
If you do decide to let him out make sure the room is safe for him and no food outside of the cage. Is he stepping up? That would be a great way to bring him out, doing something nice for him. If you have the time don't close the cage as soon as he goes back in, let him eat and come back out for a second time. He already knows there is food in there, you just need to show him it's not a trap. When he's out stay away from the cage.
Any birb getting that freedom for the first time will not want to go back in. In the end an empty crop will make it necessary for them to go back in on their own.
When you get a good daily routine like this he'll soon settle when he's in the cage, because he'll know that he will be coming out again.
^^^
All this. Also, I was wondering, how big is the cage?

Nina23e

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alina Mirza
Hi Rolo is not tamed at all got him about 2 months ago. He was 6 months old when i got him so about 8 months now. He is been in a very small cage before i got him and he was with his sister. Is it ok to let him out even if he is not tammed?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Wild or tame, ultimately hunger is one of the strongest forces to motivate a bird. They will not willingly starve to death.
You could add a perch outside the cage just under the door to give him a landing spot and an easy way back in.
What size is the cage he's in now?

Nina23e

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alina Mirza
I have changed the setting a bit moved his food bowls down and taken the paper shread thing out coz he never plays with it. To make more room for him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You say he is biting the cage and the bars are broken from that? Letting you know birds can die from metal toxicity so please be careful and make sure he is not in a cage where metal bars are broken because they also can have sharp edges.

Nina23e

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alina Mirza
I will be careful thanks. Do you think he will get more comfortable if i keep him out of his cage?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I will be careful thanks. Do you think he will get more comfortable if i keep him out of his cage?
He'll be more comfortable in a larger cage, there's no room in there for him to exercise his wings. I'm not surprised he wouldn't want to go back in.
With the damage to the bars he's not safe and there's a risk he could now start peeling the coating and swallowing it. It only takes a small scratch to start an infection.

Last edited:

Nina23e

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alina Mirza
you think by keeping him out it will help with bonding coz when i got him out few time before he used to stay on higher places like on the curtain rail or wall mounted tv or on the wall clock? i dont mind keeping him out all day.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some people do not use cages for bird. In my opinion a small bird needs to be safe inside a cage when not under human observation. They can and will get into trouble unless the room is made to be 100% bird safe which is not easy to do.