• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good Bulb for Full Spectrum Light?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
It's winter so there's not much sun and I had read about the benefits of full spectrum lighting for parrots. I have this bulb lying around OttLite 20EDG2R 20-watt Plant Grow Bulb, Compact Fluorescent Bulbs - Amazon Canada
I used it for about a year to grow tropical pitcher plants (until I got too many pitcher plants and upgraded to a 4 foot fixture but that's in the basement away from my bird) I put it in the lamp I always used to put it in and after about 12 hours of use (how I normally used it) it felt super hot like if I grabbed it the bulb would burn me. Thinking about it I probably shouldn't leave it on for 12 hours straight (it cooled down enough to just be warm after a few minutes of being off) but would this be the correct kind of light for parrots? Any tips on safe usage around a lovebird (I'm not going to leave it on that long again, maybe like a few 1 hour increments during the day?)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ott lite's are top of the line and expensive. Last a long time. They are on Amazon.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I use the Featherbrite full spectrum for birds. One thing the I like is that it doesn't flicker like some fluorescent one do over time.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
They do not get very hot at all.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I'll look into those, do they get hot at all?
They do not get very hot.
The bulbs are not meant to light the whole room but to light the cage. Hope that makes sense.
You can do a search for previous posts on this subject.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are you looking for a bulb for vitamin D, or are you looking just so the bird can see in full spectrum?

The data says that bulbs only produce UVB when they are 6-12 inches away from it, and you risk eye damage at that distance. They also only produce UVB for up to 6 months, so even if they are still producing light, they are no better than a regular bulb after 6 months.

I just get CRI 90 or better bulbs so they can see clearly.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Are you looking for a bulb for vitamin D, or are you looking just so the bird can see in full spectrum?

The data says that bulbs only produce UVB when they are 6-12 inches away from it, and you risk eye damage at that distance. They also only produce UVB for up to 6 months, so even if they are still producing light, they are no better than a regular bulb after 6 months.

I just get CRI 90 or better bulbs so they can see clearly.
Atm I'm looking to give her the psychological benefits of sunlight because there's not really enough in the room she lives in

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder