• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good & Bad news at the AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
For reasons in this thread http://forums.avianavenue.com/showpost.php?p=1313752 Tinga went to the AV today. The Good news is that poo sample was normal and there was the normal amount of urine present, so no problem there.

For the physical exam, Tinga tried to avoid being grabbed by the AV so there was a bit of flustered flapping going on in the cage, but of course he lost & was soon in the AV's hands being examined. All was going well and although he didn't weigh Tinga, by feeling his body he could tell he wasn't overweight. After an overall visual inspection & listening to his breathing, the AV put Tinga back in his cage. He wasn't happy with how long it was taking Tinga to stop panting, so he got him out and checked once more, but his nares were clear & breathing sounded clear. Tinga went back to his cage and the AV just stood back at a slight distance & observed him for quite a long while. He said that it was still taking Tinga too long for his breathing to calm down. Either he's unfit or it might be the start of something. My AV is a calm sort of person, not one to want to make something out of nothing, but in the end he decided he could not let Tinga leave without a dose of antibiotic. Apparently it is one that just needs the single dose. I am to watch Tinga at home to see how his breathing is and he stressed to me, about 3 times, that he wants me to give him a call next Saturday to let him know either way how Tinga has been.

So now I don't know whether to start worrying.

Thinking back, when Tinga cuddles under my chin, or real close against my cheek, I can feel his little heart going a million miles an hour - I mean really FEEL it quite strongly. I thought nothing of it, thinking that's just the way it is. I didn't think to mention this at the AV, so my question to you all, particularly those with snugly sun conures (or similar birds) do their little hearts beat fast & strong like the way I am describing? I'm starting to wonder if it's connected to what the AV was so concerned about today.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Maybe Tinga needs a full blood work done?My birds heartsbbe fast and strong too. It's when its slow is when I get worried. Moby is my oldest U2, and compared to ALL my other birds, his heart beats the slowest. But he's been given a clean bill of health after many tests were done(complete blood test, xrays, physical exam,.fecal and throat samples). Make sure Tinga gets a complete blood test done.Many birds when at the vet will pant and be horribly stressed out. Does Tinga act short of breath at home?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ok, edit isnt working. That's "my birds hearts beat"* Please excuse any grammatical errors and/or typos. :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've never really noticed my bird's heartbeats just through holding them. I can easily feel them when they're upset, frightened or excited though. No Conures here though.

Good thing your Doc's on the ball. Better to catch something now! Hope nothing is wrong though, and it is just that Conures have rapid strong heartbeats.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Three cheers for a conscientious vet! I hope it turns out to not be anything serious. :hug8:

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I find my birds heartbeats are very fast and strong.

Good thing your vet is on the ball though! Hopefully it's nothing and just a precautionary shot :)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Everyone's heartbeats here are super fast and strong, my AV has a stethoscope that can record the beats and Milo's heart sounds like someone pounding the tar out of a bongo!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please ask your vet if there may be a possibility of congestive heart failure (CHF) or atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). My female GW has CHF and the first noticeable symptoms were her not being able to recover normal breathing quickly enough. She has been on medications for 11 years now and with a low fat diet and medications she has out lived the Dr.'s expectations by twice.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking it's likely it was the combo of the circumstances (adrenalin & fear from being chased, caught & held by AV - twice) & poor fitness level that caused the slow recovery from panting. Otherwise, it could be that the antibiotics are doing their work.

I can't replicate the panting here at home, but that is most likely because I can't really get him to over exert himself. He plays hard with his toys but is a reluctant flyer. He thinks flying is only to reach me or dive bomb attack the lorikeets. He flys for no other reason, ever! So I'm not seeing the panting. I will talk to my AV on Saturday and see what he thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many prayers on the way !!!

Status