• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gone

Sylvester

Hit the Road

This morning, I lost Egg, my turquoise blue parakeet. She was nine and a half years old.

Two weeks ago Egg was attacked by one of my cats. I was in another room and heard the crash of her cage hit the floor. I ran downstairs as fast as I could to discover her cage on the floor with my cat chasing her around as he flew madly into the walls. I quickly got the situation under control and for the day I just carefully observed her. She had no visible wounds and was not bleeding.

By the next day, she was puffed up, breathing heavy, and blinking like she wanted to go to sleep. I quickly took her to my parrot store and to a Avian Vet that they had recommended. The Veterinarian and tech gave her a examination and found no wounds on her. But to be on the safe side they gave her pain meds and antibiotics. The latter I was to administer to Egg twice a day. For a couple of weeks she seemed to be on the mend.

But I didn't get home until two this morning and when I went to give her the dosage of antibiotics she appeared to be fluffed up and blinking again. I carefully covered her and went to bed. When I got up, she was gone.

I feel so damn guilty for going to a vet in the first place and putting her through all of this. She was always a wild child and she would freak out the moment my hand would enter her cage. I then thought it would be better to just let her out of her cage to fly around, get some exercise, and then cage her. But she kept flying into walls.

Sometimes I think we do too much to these animals. But I know I would have felt just as guilty if I had sat back and done nothing.

I want to thank Lady Jane for being such a great friend who has been in my and Egg's corner since the beginning. I know we were both hoping for a happier outcome.

I am so sorry, Egg, and if I did any harm, I hope I am forgiven.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hugs :sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry. :(

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I'm so sorry :(

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I would rather try and be unsuccessful, rather than wait for the condition to worsen naturally. You did right by little miss Egg, even if she may not have appreciated it initially.

Wings up high, you sassy girl.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

This is not only a post to grief about Egg. It also a cautionary one to anyone who decides to go down the road of vets and medication. I am not about to suggest to not use a veterinarian, but sometimes the best medicine is to allow a delicate little creature to go on his/her own terms.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

This is not only a post to grief about Egg. It also a cautionary one to anyone who decides to go down the road of vets and medication. I am not about to suggest to not use a veterinarian, but sometimes the best medicine is to allow a delicate little creature to go on his/her own terms.
Sometimes comfort care is the right call. Either way, never an easy decision to make. :sadhug2:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I would rather try and be unsuccessful, rather than wait for the condition to worsen naturally. You did right by little miss Egg, even if she may not have appreciated it initially.

Wings up high, you sassy girl.
I wish this reply had come through before I posted my last one.

Thank you, Peachfaced. As you can tell by my last response I am more than a little conflicted by my decision. My grandmother and mother were "lets wait and see" people, and for some reason I can't be like that. We just will never know which approach would have benefited Egg.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry you lost her but you did the best you could for her:sadhug:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Egg was a very special little wild lady bird. I know she loved being with you even if she did not act like it. "She did it her way" as some say. I hope you look back knowing that.

"There's definitely something special between birds and their owners, and it's called unconditional love."