• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going way back in time to 3rd- 4th century CE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebecca in Israel

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rebecca
Going way back in time to 3rd- 4th century CE

This past fall during the holiday of Succoth, we took a mini vacation in Tiberias. It was rainy so the photos are not the greatest, but despite the weather the ruins even in the rain were spectacular and most interesting. The first two you have to close up the shots to read explanations....I have decided to upload the zodiac floor mosaics. I love archaelogical sites, it gives us important insights as to how we all survived and managed before "Computers and Internet" I took several hundred photos of a few acrchaeological sites, the Sea of Gallilee, and other stuff that is older than I am!!
If you notice my signature it is Aquarius, which I am, the original is in the photo above. The writing in Hebrew is written backwards. This is because the reflection from the water is what the waterbearer sees, and thus it is relected in the mosaic. I was curious at first thinking this was an error in the reconstruction of the floor and contacted Dr. Tzvika Tsuk at the Archaeological And Antiquities Authority in Jerusalem. The reflection theory was explained to me, and it does seem logical. Here also is a link to more information and history for those who are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammat_Tiberias_Synagogue

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.