• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going to lay an egg?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
So weeble has been out of control hormonal the last couple of days and keeps masturbating on everything in the cage. When I went in tonight at bedtime I readjusted some perches to eliminate a spot and she went down to the bottom and started acting like what you'll see in the video below. Now, I know I am definitely going to have to change the cage bottom situation because she seems to be trying to make a nest in it as of today. I have had it padded in case she slipped while seeing how she does on various perches after her recent toe amputation, but I think she'll be better without it at this point. So you'll see in the video where she hunkers down on the blanket and I'm wondering if that is a sign that she is going to lay an egg soon or if she is just "assuming the position". She was pulling some of those materials on the bottom to her. It's food she dropped and shredded what-nots. She will act normally, get back up, and go eat if I am not around, but as soon as I come back in the room she starts acting like a horny, nesty, little weirdo :lol:

Anything I should do or look out for? We had gone out and didn't get home until almost 11:30 and then I watched her for about an hour trying to decide what to do before finally putting them to bed. So I'd really like to know, would she lay one overnight in the dark? Should I keep an eye on her and move her back to the guest room to watch? I'm freaking out a bit at the thought of an egg. She hasn't layed any with me but did before I got her. Ok here's the video. What do you all think she is up to?

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I have had experience with birds that are about to lay eggs before, it all went well and stuff but does she look egg bound to you? Can't really tell because it's just a bit too far but keep an eye on her. ;)Hope all is well. :hug8:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Oh boohoo!! All the hormones and eggs around here lately!!!

Anyway, IME with Pickles, she got seriously hormonal and she changed her normal routines for a short time which I couldn't even handle her :(but a few rare times in which I took advantage of and checked out the butt better to look for swelling/change.....sure enough she was swollen and on the day she laid each egg she looked "pregnat" meaning over a couple of days I could definitely see different levels of swelling in her tummy and bum. She didn't look like she was uncomfortable so I left per alone and just checked in on her a lot!! I watch for behaviour that didn't seen right for hormones and how long she was swollen. Thankfully she laid 2 eggs without problems 2 days apart. Today will be 3days since the last one but I think she is done since there is no swelling and she has been playing and even wanted to come out to play and fly around. She was so excited to come out to play with everyone. If she was swollen I wouldn't of let her out to play because of the stance of her landing and possibly busting the egg in her tummy. She is an expert flier and lands well but because she has a splayed leg she sort of uses her bum when landing. I think its helps to balance herself because of her stance being so far apart.

So hopefully she is done and I don't know if any of this is relevant of helpful but it is my experience with Pickles and what I watched for......... :hug8: .

pajarita

Walking the driveway
She does look nesty on the video but it's hard to tell when you don't know the normal behaviors. But, if you keep them up in the middle of the night, they will end up overly hormonal and produce eggs so, if her laying an egg freaks you out, keep her to a strict solar schedule as nature intended and she won't.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Well no egg today. :dance4: We are in the process of moving and I am hoping that might knock them out of it a bit. Can't change the environment much more than that, lol. She doesn't seem like she has an egg bum but everytime i look at her hard she fluffs her booty feathers at me :facepalm: just changed up her cage and put a new toy in. Won't be letting her fly just in case. Thanks for the tips guys. I was mostly worried that she'd lay one overnight. Do they even do that? Oh and they normally are not up so late I just wanted to watch her even though we got home past bedtime. They are on a 12-12 hr day/night cycle but I think I will change that up as well.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
@Beanurita did you notice I had to make her toy you sent smaller? She was reeeeeally liking it, if you know what I mean, so I had to separate the three pieces so she couldn't access the toy so easily with her rear end :lol:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
@Beanurita did you notice I had to make her toy you sent smaller? She was reeeeeally liking it, if you know what I mean, so I had to separate the three pieces so she couldn't access the toy so easily with her rear end :lol:

I was thinking it looked smaller but wasn't positive :pinklol: :pinklol: im flattered that she really LOVED the toy I got her then.....I think :headsmack:

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
She does look nesty. I've have two females who laid eggs, and except for one episode of a Nanday being egg bound. A night at the vet's took care of that. Make sure that she is getting enough calcium.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope its not an egg that is scary :hug8:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I wish you well with your hormonal girlie. I can see from the cage alone that she is much loved.

However I would allow, even encourage normal egg laying beheaviour. It is a cycle for which nature has programmed her, and I would assist her in every way to get through it as painlessly and stress free as possible, instead of trying to delay or avoid the inevitable ( ladies, can you feel me here?)

Calcium supplement. Dark warm place to lay her egg if she wishes. And if she wants to masturbate, what the hell, let her live a little, its Christmas!

Outraged? Dont be. Birds are not 24/7/365 sexual creatures like humans. The cycle will end. the beheaviour will stop.

JP

Last edited: