• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going out of Town for 7-10 days= ANXIETY- Help

Gracie Lou

Meeting neighbors
I have to fly back to Ohio to drive my mother across the country to move near me--which is awesome but I am freaking out about leaving my GCC. Jaida is a little over a year and I am her universe. We have never been separated. If I go anywhere overnight, I take her. The airline will not allow birds to travel.
My husband will be here but will not get her out very much at all. She will be in her cage most of the time.
I am so nervous she will hate me when I return. I also am worried she will be totally stressed out.
Any advice?
Have you left your birds for a week and how did it turn out?
Anything I can do to decrease her stress while I am away?
thank you for your help :0)

KnittingAnarchy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Monica
Any reason your husband can't let her out more?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Jaida wont forget you, I left Valentine at the vets for several days and I thought the same as you. When I got her home there were lots of screaming, kisses, cuddles.....:cool:

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
we have a friend that birds sits for us when we are away. We drop off our bird with his cage and they care for him until we return. It eases the stress and anxiety of leaving our baby.

Gracie Lou

Meeting neighbors
My husband is working 12 hour nights the first part of my time away and then 12 hour days. He will get her out a little but I walk in the door and she is basically on me until bedtime so this will be a little shocking for her.
Thanks for letting me know your babies don't forget you. I am just nervous.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They don't forget you (in my humble opinion)'

She will be in her own cage, in her own surroundings. Much less stress that way.

Can you create foraging items for her before you head out?

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
You'll both be fine! Jaida will miss you and be happy to see you when you get home.

Get some new favorite toys or foraging items for your husband to put in for her every few days, and her favorite food treats for him to give her.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
She will be fine, at least she will be in a familiar place and can get out a little, so it's better than boarding her. You could give her some extra foraging toys and fun things to do. My GCC absolutely loves foraging bowls - just a bowl full of pellets, beads, some uncooked pasta, and a few seeds and bits of nuts. She does tend to make a mess and throw a lot out, but it makes her very happy. A small bowl of plain popcorn is also a lot of birdie fun, good for eating and shredding. Have him put a favorite treat/toy in each day so she has something fun to occupy her. Maybe some spray millet too - it's seed but it's pretty low fat, and she has to pick and hull each seed so it takes a little while to eat, making it more entertaining.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Begin to get your husband involved in her care now. Many people work long hours and still have birds.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
She will be okay. My mom got really sick a few years back (cancer in her spine) and I had to be gone for the first time for a month to help with her care. They were not let out at all (large flock and my sun wants to eat hubby). My husband put up a webcam for me so that I could ease my anxiety. They were all okay and once I got home and we went back to our normal routine, all was like I hadn't ever left.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
I left Nim for at least a week several times (obviously with proper care being given by someone I trust) and have left Zorro once or twice for a few days due to vet school interviews. Neither bird hated me. They were more glad to see me than anything, and Zorro, being a conure, used it as a chance to screech. Even if she's a little upset with you, she will get over it in time. Give her loads of love when you return.

Gracie Lou

Meeting neighbors
This is so wonderful. Thank you everyone. I am feeling better now. I love the extra foraging ideas. I will set a few new things up for Jaida before I go. My daughter said she would come to the house twice while I am gone to make certain Jaida gets a little special attention :0)

One more question---

Does anyone else use full spectrum lighting for their birds to make certain they do not get vitamin D and K deficient?
I recently read some terrifying information about a bleeding disorder birds can get from being nutrient deficient and the light helped a great deal.

thank you very much

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I just got home last night from being gone for 7 days. My neighbor comes by once a day and gives them food and water and talks to them. They did just fine and we do this several times a year.

Gracie Lou

Meeting neighbors
Chris- thanks so much. That is amazing. Jaida will have more contact than that so she will be fine. I bought her new toys, new foraging stuff, extra food dishes, and extra water dishes just to be safe.
I appreciate it.
take care

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I go on one 7-10 day vacation every august and mine are always fine. I don't let anyone get them out of the cage while I am gone because they are too naughty. I load them up with extra toys and foragers and they are stoked to see me when I am home. I start cutting back their out time about a week before so it isn't too drastic for them and so I can see how fast they are going through toys and stuff.