1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffins cockatoo

Discussion in 'Healthy Highway' started by Castiel, 4/19/17 at 1:02 PM.

1. Castiel

Castiel Meeting neighbors

Gary
    I am getting mixed answers on this and I am just curious because I have heard 30-40 and 60 years as to how long they live. Anyone know how long I can expect to have my baby boy around?

2. Cynthia & Percy

Cynthia & Percy cockatoo mania Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

cynthia
    i do not know mine will be 30 this September

Castiel likes this.
  3. Castiel

Gary
    30 is a start. I hope 60 is closer to the right number but I honestly hate the thought of having to leave my baby to someone else. I figure I got maybe 40 years left. I am going to leave him to my niece if he outlives me.

4. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

I'd say 30-40 would be the minimum. 50+ is probably more like it if they've lived a healthy life.

Goffins have some IMO emotional problems as they age, keep those under control and I'd think a longer life would happen.

Seen so many poor little Goffins all plucked out as they age. Mine is going that route at a little over 20 years old. :(

JLcribber and Castiel like this.
  5. Castiel

Gary
    :(

6. Birdie Onions

Birdie Onions Strolling the yard

Tarryn
    Hi there, I have a Goffin going on 15, why do some start plucking or having emotional problems as they get older? little worried as to what I need to watch for.

Castiel likes this.
  7. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

The only answer I know is they are Cockatoos. Emotional to a fault, and we can't give them what they need.

John has the best advice when it comes to Toos. Big or small, Toos are complex creatures.

I know some manage, but it does seem that many Goffins don't thrive.

JLcribber likes this.
  8. Birdie Onions

Tarryn
  9. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Jen
    I'm beginning to think that the best thing you can do for a 'too is to get them a mate...

JLcribber and Castiel like this.
  10. Birdie Onions

Tarryn
    I dunno hey, the males become exceptionally aggressive when they want to mate. And if the female doesn't want to the she's doomed. A breeder friend of mine has lost many breeding pairs because of this.
    Even if they've had these partners for years.

Hankmacaw and Castiel like this.
  11. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Jen
    You don't necessarily have to pair them up as male/female. I have two of my male Galahs paired up. They are siblings from the same clutch. I also would not give them a nestbox or anything that would give them any reason to mate.

The longer I keep birds, the more I find that having a buddy is a great idea. I also have BFA/YHA female pair that get along very well, although I think the BFA likes the YHA better than the YHA likes the BFA. They are the two birds we don't cage and I don't know that I would ever actually cage them together.

The secret with having 'toos get along together is to make sure they have a big enough cage and lots to do but I've also seen a lot of very strange pairings, so it doesn't necessarily have to be the same species, although those pairings tend to take more time and more willingness to make sure they will get along.

Birdie Onions likes this.
  12. Birdie Onions

Tarryn
    Yeh Nikita is best friends with my B&G she even sneaks into his cage to be with him.

13. Tyrion

Tyrion Rollerblading along the road

Annette Thompson
    Im pretty sure I would be kicked out of the house if I even mentioned getting another Too ...but have been told this might help with the screaming issue ...but I know it wouldnt go over well ...but would love to have a Galah :hehe::hehe::hehe:

14. macawpower58

15. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Yup. Not just Goffins

Every cockatoo is just a step away from becoming an emotional basket case simply because they are so smart and so emotional that they can't cope long term in a cage/captivity. None of these (any) large parrots are good pets. They don't belong in a cage and to do so is to doom them to a very stressful mediocre existence.

All cockatoos are just a step away from becoming basket cases. Goffins do seem to take it a step further.

Yes we humans are very sad examples of flock mates. My mantra is that a solitary bird is a lonely bird no matter what species it is. They are meant at a minimum to live in pairs and ideally in a "flock". To keep a solitary bird is cruel deprivation IMO.

If there is no medical issue. The ultimate cause for plucking is stress from having to live in captivity and more so in a cage. It does not need to be any one specific stress although it can be but rather an accumulation of all the small stresses trhat the bird must live with. We may not recognize these things as stress but the bird most certainly does. Parrots are designed and programmed to fly hundreds of miles per day. To forage and work for their food. To have free will to decide where to go, when to go and who to go with. Making them spend time in a cage which is only a few steps in any direction even in a large cage is a huge stress factor. When the stress builds to the breaking point, that is when problem behaviors like plucking and screaming begin to show themselves. If our bird is plucking and there is no medical reason for it then it's time to start thinking outside the box, literally and start to provide a more natural way of living so they can move, explore and forage so they get that stimulation. A busy beak does not have time to pluck. Changing the way they live, sacrificing some real space and providing a large secure area where they can be the birds they are as much as possible will go a long ways to stopping the behavior.

STRESS LEVELS

Preening is a natural and hard wired instinct. Plucking is an exaggeration of that behavior and if not dealt with quickly becomes a habit much like chewing your fingernails. As a result of nervousness. The feather picking is a stress coping mechanism. There is an endorphin rush from pulling the feather and relieving the irritation which is a reward. Much like scratching an itch. The pain itself might even be reinforcing. When a feather is pulled, there is about a 2 week cycle before the new feather starts to stick out of the skin. The bird may not pluck for 2 weeks and then start again. This is a bad cycle. Don't make a fuss over plucked feathers. That is also a reinforcer.

What people often describe as a 'parrot behavior problem' is actually the result of a bird's natural behavior taking place in an unnatural environment. Flying miles a day; loud vocalizations, foraging for food, chewing and destroying wood and trees, and defending territories are perfectly normal bird behaviors in the wild, but unwelcome in the average home. So it's actually a 'people problem,' fueled by people's unrealistic expectations of a parrot's basic nature." Their needs can not be met in captivity. The larger and more intelligent the parrot is the more exaggerated the problems seem to be.

I wish everyone would read this.
    http://www.pamelaclarkonline.com/up...iderations_of_Companion_Parrot_Care_10.06.pdf

Last edited: 4/21/17 at 9:13 PM
    macawpower58 likes this.
  16. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Jogging around the block Tailgating!!!

I was shocked to learn that the life span of a GCC is 5 years on average due to poor keeping, lack of house hold safety etc. It was so depressing that I question if I should have taken a bird in at all. :(

JLcribber likes this.
  17. Tyrion

Tyrion Rollerblading along the road

Annette Thompson
    JLcribber likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)