• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffins cage?

Oraien

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Oraien
I have a Prevue Hendryx F050 flight cage and would like to know if it could be an appropriate size, spacing and strength for a goffins? My husband and I work 8 hours a day Monday through Friday, but we spend about 4 hours before work with our current menagerie of fur/feather/scale kids, and then again the same amount or longer in the evenings, so they will have at least 8 hours out WITH US a day while we are home. I just want to be sure of size and appropriateness. This bird is possibly being regimes with us.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
NO!
The spacing is only 1/2 inch and the wire is too thin.
My Goffin has removed the bars on cages and if there's a door or bottom tray they must be padlocked or he opens them.
He'd destroy that cage in a day. or less.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is this the cage?
Large Flight Bird Cage F050 Prevue Pet Products

If so I'd vote no. I'd worry that the bars would be too flimsy. While it seems like a decent size, ideally bigger is better. Goffins such spunky birds full of energy, so while they are physically smaller than U2 or M2 they could certainly really benefit with the same kind of cage you would house bigger birds in. Just make sure the bar spacing is appropriate.

Now I don't own a goffin, so hearing from some members who do would be helpful
@faislaq @sunnysmom

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
That’s not a suitable cage for a cockatoo. That cage is more for a few budgies. The bar spacing is much too small for a Goffins to climb around on. Remember, a parrot uses its beak as a third hand. And those hands and beak must be able to adequately make it through the cage spacing. Not to mention the bars are very flimsy.

A good cage would be something like this. If the price is a little steep, look for something of similar size and spacing. King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

If you’re willing to spend a bit more coin (Okay. A lot more coin), the stainless steel ones on King’s Cages are amazing. There’s no powder coat to chew off and they clean soooooo easy. I love my stainless cage (although I want a bigger one now)

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Adventures Mediana or Grande.
Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop Bird Cage - Perfect Mid-Sized Cage
Avian Adventures Mediana Dometop Bird Cage - Great All-Around Option!
Avian Adventures Grande Playtop Bird Cage - Perfect for Your Parrot

Avian Adventures Grande Dometop Bird Cage

Posted links for reference. Shop around on the internet and compare prices. My Goffin's has a Mediana Dometop. Would have gone larger but I don't have the space. There is a breeder door on this cage and I had to put 2 padlocks on the door (one on the top and one on the bottom of it) because she figured out how to unscrew it. Otherwise, it's worked out well for her.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's the cage we use for Puffin's night cage / playstand. When we're home we wheel it into the living room because it holds food and water dishes & has a tray to catch poop. But it's pretty worthless as an actual cage except for much smaller birds. Even our little green cheeks could open the doors when it was theirs & our goffin girls absolutely can too. The only reason Puffin doesn't at night only because she's sleeping. :laugh:

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its too flimsy for a cockatoo. You'll have issues with escaping from feeder doors and possibly pinching wire together creating a hazard. You need an wrought iron bar type cage. Something in the 24 deep x 30 wide or larger.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
And something with better than standard latches, that's for sure! Otherwise you'll be buying another cage asap. :wacky:

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I second the avian Adventure cages.very good reviews and well made. Mediana and Grande or both great. With Memorial Day coming you might find some good sales. They have dome top and play top. Petco has store wide big sales sometimes and that is a great time to get the best price on the Internet on those, plus free shipping and that’s worth about $130- $300. The cages are also easy to put together . They fold and you don’t have to spend hours setting up up and screwing things in.
I got my cage a Grande for $575, free shipping at Walmart online. They sold out though. Keep an eye out in Walmart too!

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think a 1 inch bar spacing would be too big for a G2. My G2 is in a 5/8 inch, and 3/4 would be OK.
My OWA is in a 1 inch spacing because at the time I wanted a bigger cage for her and that was the only option.
I can't picture my G2 being comfortable in my OWAs cage.
Goffins are smaller on the whole than Galahs.
My Goffin is a fairly large wild-caught guy at 310g, but some G2s I've seen in rescues are so small! They definitely would not be suitable for 1 inch spacing, they would not be able to climb around easily and could probably find unexpected ways to get in trouble, being a G2.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bar spacing on Mediana is 7/8". Bar spacing on Grande is 1".
I know that the Mediana works well for a Goffin's, at least it does for Keno.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think one inch spacing is probably okay for a goffin's but I wouldn't go over. I think Cassie's cage has 3/4 inch.

Oraien

Real Name
Oraien
Thank you everyone for your feedback! It was exactly the kind of feedback that I needed and also brought up some things I definitely hadn't thought about at all, like how the bar spacing would affect the use of their beak as a third limb. I of course know that they do that, but hadn't thought about how the spacing of the cage would really affect their ability to use it.

The prevue is a great cage for my GCC but after a little searching and talking, a friend actually gave me a California Cages CC106 with 1" spacing and a footprint of 40"Wx30"Dx45"T with a play top as well and think we will go with that until we can upgrade to one of the larger Kings cages!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
California Cages are nice. They are quality cages. Too bad the company closed its doors.

Oraien

Real Name
Oraien
I saw that after I looked the cage up! It needs cleaned up and checked over to be sure it's all good since it is older, but it was a gift from a friend who previously had a macaw. I'm just feeling really fortunate!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just make sure that the Goffin's can't get his/her head between the bars. Some Goffin's are OK with 1" but some might need smaller bar spacing although I would think it should be OK. I was considering the Grande for mine at one time (not enough space here). That has 1" spacing but I know her size and knew it wouldn't be an issue for her.