• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffin plays like a cat?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm just curious if this is a goffin thing, or a cockatoo thing, or an Elvis thing? Elvis literally attacks his toys. It's very entertaining to watch. He pounces on them like a cat would, and hops and jumps and squawks and tears them apart. He normally does this in the evening. During the day he prefers unclipping and burying his plastic clips in his food dish. LOL. Something else that I think is weird, but adorable. He will play with his clips in his food dish for an hour at a time. Such a funny quirky, little bird. Does anyone else's cockatoo do things like this?

elvis p.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper also attacks her toys. She jumps on them. Picks them up and throws them. Grabs them and shakes them. I'm glad she isn't a velociraptor - she would be deadly.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Jasper also attacks her toys. She jumps on them. Picks them up and throws them. Grabs them and shakes them. I'm glad she isn't a velociraptor - she would be deadly.
Good to know. This is my first experience with a bird that really, really likes to play. Sunny preferred scratches. LOL.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Jester can be very enthusiastic with his toys! He will jump on them, hang off of them as he plays with them, violently shake them from side to side and bang them against the cage bars. He has a rattle at the bottom of his cage that he loves to pick up, throw, and slam around. (He also likes to sweet talk the rattle when he isn't abusing it, LOL)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Jester can be very enthusiastic with his toys! He will jump on them, hang off of them as he plays with them, violently shake them from side to side and bang them against the cage bars. He has a rattle at the bottom of his cage that he loves to pick up, throw, and slam around. (He also likes to sweet talk the rattle when he isn't abusing it, LOL)
Lol. Cute. Maybe I'll have to look into getting Elvis a rattle.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Our Senegal Constantine will sometimes attack his toys, particularly the wooden blocks attached to his spoon toy. Very funny to see because sometimes I think he actually gets offended by the toy when it moves back after he initially charges it, so he gets even more mad than before.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They used to do it a lot. Not so much anymore. Amanda still does it sometimes.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton stalks, then jumps to attack empty soda bottles on the floor. After that, he'll toss it back to me, or bring it to me. When I reach to grab the bottle, he yanks it away and laughs.
It's a game he enjoys a lot, and will play that way for almost an hour at a time...it lets him burn up excess energy...:)

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Gonzo(slender bill too)will do that pretty much everytime he sees a sock, whether it’s on my foot or not(which can get a bit dangerous ). He’ll pounce on it and fling it really far away. Only with socks and pens though.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I'm just curious if this is a goffin thing, or a cockatoo thing, or an Elvis thing? Elvis literally attacks his toys. It's very entertaining to watch. He pounces on them like a cat would, and hops and jumps and squawks and tears them apart. He normally does this in the evening. During the day he prefers unclipping and burying his plastic clips in his food dish. LOL. Something else that I think is weird, but adorable. He will play with his clips in his food dish for an hour at a time. Such a funny quirky, little bird. Does anyone else's cockatoo do things like this?

View attachment 257428
My RB2 plays tug of war with cardboard paper strips with my husband just like a puppy would. He will only do it with my husband. With me he plays fetch, I throw the toy, I hand it to him and he throws it, just like a dog would. He does different things with each of us exclusively. It's funny then he stops, yawns, and rests after all that playing. Lol

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd used to attack toys like bells, Lurch LOVED to beat the snot outa his string ball and look at me like this could be you:watching:Dobby sometimes will also attack his bells or things he finds. I think they just enjoy making noise and jumping around like kids no matter what kind of bird they are.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
They're so fun! Freddy loves that tug of war game. Last night they played and Freddy was pulling the paper like a hand over beak motion, as soon as he got the whole thing he turned and bowed to us and turned around and bowed to the lovebirds as my husband said "Freddy the tug of war champ!" "Are you the champ?!" Freddy kept bobbing as if to answer yes! Then he ran to my husband and dropped the paper at his feet! Lol they can play like that for an hour, my husband will do it as long as Freddy wants. I love watching that!

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
@sunnysmom I am so happy and glad that Elvis is doing well and it now seems like you have a clown in the house. He's quite the looker. I know he must be good for you and in general, with you having had Sunny. :)

I am loving all the posts about other members' Toos and their Tiels, especially those dear geriatrics.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom I am so happy and glad that Elvis is doing well and it now seems like you have a clown in the house. He's quite the looker. I know he must be good for you and in general, with you having had Sunny. :)

I am loving all the posts about other members' Toos and their Tiels, especially those dear geriatrics.
Thanks. Elvis is a clown. Always busy. Always into something. A very different bird than Sunny was. I still miss Sunny but Elvis definitely keeps me entertained. It took quite sometime but I think Elvis is finally comfortable being Elvis with us. The poor guy has had a number of homes.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Gonzo(slender bill too)will do that pretty much everytime he sees a sock, whether it’s on my foot or not(which can get a bit dangerous ). He’ll pounce on it and fling it really far away. Only with socks and pens though.
Elvis has become obsessed with my fiance's socks. Lol. He could care less about mine

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Thanks. Elvis is a clown. Always busy. Always into something. A very different bird than Sunny was. I still miss Sunny but Elvis definitely keeps me entertained. It took quite sometime but I think Elvis is finally comfortable being Elvis with us. The poor guy has had a number of homes.
That's very good that he has settled in nicely despite going through multiple homes. He looks good as well. Elvis will definitely provide entertainment, goffins are always on the go and clownish and he sounds like he's comfortable, being himself and doing well. I'm glad that he's keeping you company and vice versa.:goffin:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Elvis has become obsessed with my fiance's socks. Lol. He could care less about mine
Isn't it funny what they like? Freddy has been a riot, and he's just warming up from what I am told he will be a lot funnier in time haha!