• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffin Cockatoo (Male Or Female?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucklebird

Meeting neighbors
Currently I have a Umbrella Cockatoo and I know for sure that she is a Female because she has a brown ring in her eyes. Although, I just can't determine if my Goffin is a Male or a Female. Are there any tips that anyone can point out or suggest?

Her name is Emma, but i'm thinking it might be a male because it humps everything in her cage when i'm around. I'm trying to train her to stop because i don't want her to think that i am her mate. Currently, I'm trick training and not cudulling as much. She is a very smart bird and is learning tricks very very fast.

Ohhh....and when ever my girlfriend comes around she SCREAMS...her head off.....but doesn't want to bit her though....

Is it a Male or a Female? How can I tell?

Thanks,
Chucklebird

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
the only way to tell a goffin for certain is testing :hug8:

The Wooden Parrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
I heard you can tell by the color of thier eyes?? Males have very black eyes and females have lighter, blue black eyes?? Not sure of this but it is what my two (one a make and one a female) have.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I thought female Toos have reddish color eyes and the males have brown??

Anyway..the only way to know for sure is to do a DNA test. You can get one done for about $20 at any number of mail in labs.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Dont believe that light brown/black eye myth. I believed this at first too. My Goffins has brown eyes as well depending on the light, and i thought he was a she for a long time until i got him DNA tested

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Most people cannot tell the differences between malkes and females. You must know your birds, know male and female sexual antics, behaviors when sexually mature, and many more. Some females don’t have red eyes, but they may have the body build, slender beak, small head, etc, etc, that maks up a typical female umbrella cockatoo.

DNA testing is typically 100% proof over visual.

chucklebird

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! I will get her DNA and let you all know...she does have the brown eye...I have a umbrella cockatoo and I know it's a female because she does have the brown eyes, but the Goffin is hard.

Thanks Again!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks! I will get her DNA and let you all know...she does have the brown eye...I have a umbrella cockatoo and I know it's a female because she does have the brown eyes, but the Goffin is hard.

Thanks Again!
That is very common but certainly not the rule. The only way to know for sure is a DNA test or if she drops an egg!!!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
or if she drops an egg!!!
:hehe:

+1 on that. :D
As far as screaming her head off when your GF comes over.....pretty normal behavior there she wants all of your attention, doesn't want to share you with your GF. Very happy to hear she isn't biting your GF. Good birdie.:laughing12:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Thanks Again!

My male umbrella cockatoos have brown eyes too. I believe female umbrellas that are sexually mature have red eyes, but this is always true for some females. Do you by chance have any pics of her? And your new goffins?

chucklebird

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all the reply everyone....

I do have pictures....i will post some tonight...

As far as screaming, I think i might have it figured out why she is screeming when my girl friend is around...

She is two according to the lady that I got her from. And as a baby she has been rasied by women and I am her first male owner and her last...(This is her forever home) I've noticed that she also screems when my mother is in the room...she will though step up to her and won't bite her...(Very Very friendly) I purposly left her food tray empty and walk in to interact with other birds and greet her...she doesn't screem or do anything, but when my mother walks in she started screeming....

I am assuming that she is associating food with long hair people....(Women) For as long as she has lived so far she had been cared for by women so therefore she is use to them feeding her...

I think i have i figured out....any suggestions....?

Status
Not open for further replies.