• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffin cockatoo cage

Synth

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
I’ve been a lurker of this forum for a long time. My husband and I have 4 almost 5 birds! Our 2 GCC’s Astrid and Nayru, our cockatiel Navi, and our Quaker parrot Lossie. Saturday morning we are picking up a 5ish year old unsexed but presumed male Goffin cockatoo named Sunny. I am here to ask about cages. Sunny is in less than desirable conditions. His current cage has 1 inch bar spacing but it seems like the consensus is 1 inch is too big for Goffin’s. I am located in the United States and would love some cage suggestions to get our ‘Too a proper cage.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would try to get as large of a cage as you can. Goffins are busy, busy birds. I would say minimum size is 48 x 36 but if you can get a 64 x32 that would be better or even 80 x 40. I wish I had just gotten bigger from the get go and am now also looking to upgrade. I know some people who use 1 inch bar spacing but recommended is less than an inch. And it is tough to find a big cage with smaller bar spacing. Natural Inspirations does sell a large cage with half inch bar spacing. I tried putting my goffin in 1 inch at one point and I really felt like it wasn't safe for him. He bounces around so much and his feet really aren't that big.

Synth

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
He’s been in a cage with 1 inch bar spacing his entire life but I would like to cut the risk out completely. Thank you I will look into the natural inspiration cage!
I would try to get as large of a cage as you can. Goffins are busy, busy birds. I would say minimum size is 48 x 36 but if you can get a 64 x32 that would be better or even 80 x 40. I wish I had just gotten bigger from the get go and am now also looking to upgrade. I know some people who use 1 inch bar spacing but recommended is less than an inch. And it is tough to find a big cage with smaller bar spacing. Natural Inspirations does sell a large cage with half inch bar spacing. I tried putting my goffin in 1 inch at one point and I really felt like it wasn't safe for him. He bounces around so much and his feet really aren't that big.