• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gizzard health

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Turning to the experts please.

Got a second opinion on echos wing. In that the other AV identified a weak gizzard. He wants to put him on supplements and do poo sample. Due to our previous experiences with the tapping I want to make sure I thoroughly research options.

While I am open to digestive issues based on last blood results. He's previous results have been excellent and not much has changed diet wise.

What would a healthy gizzard diet consist of?

How can we help protect the gizzard lining through diet?

What foods should we avoid? Hard wood, plastic and leather have already been suggested by vet nurse to avoid as hard to digest.

Any thoughts would be great.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you @Hankmacaw

Currently already following this diet. I should've been a bit more specific. I meant for an irritated gizzard that wasn't digesting properly. They're suggesting even branches are too hard to digest and so is skin on apples and grapes etc.

Not sure if I'm convinced there is actually a problem tbh. Behavior feathers and droppings are all normal. If anything better than they have ever been. Just thought if I can give his digestion a rest it might just recover on it's own without having to supplement and risk to tapping issues.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can try Prozyme. It is a digestive enzyme used on animals, including birds. Prozyme predigests the protein in food which are the hardest to digest. Another thing you can do is give your guy probiotics, which will balance the digestive enzymes in your bird's system.
This the Prozyme I use;
Amazon.com : Lambert Kay Prozyme Powder, 85g : Pet Supplies

and this is the probiotic I use;
Amazon.com : AviBios Probiotics (2 Ounce) : Pet Supplies

I would imagine that branches are always too hard to digest.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you @Hankmacaw You're amazing!!

Already on probiotic but I love the sound of the enzyme. Exactly the type of info I was after.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Dosage is non-specific. My vet told me to put a pinch or two on the food. Soooo there you are. You can't overdose or make them sick with it.