1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Giving parrots control

Discussion in 'The Training Court' started by sunnysmom, 8/8/17.

1. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
  2. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Dianne
    Wonderful read. I really don't know if a little budgie could be trained for a voluntary nail trim. This issue, control, is the mail reason I am against cutting a birds flight feathers. The human then has full control of the bird. Thanks for posting.

sunnysmom likes this.
  3. Olikeet

Olikeet Checking out the neighborhood

Took a very nice course with Stephanie, who wrote the article. I have done voluntary nail trims with my birds, who are around the size of a budgie. It works somewhat well, although we are usually two people: one does the trimming while the other keeps the treats flowing.

4. Fritzgerald16

Fritzgerald16 Sprinting down the street

Jenelle
    I would love that! Fritz literally passed out once because he stressed out and overheated while getting his "spa treatment" (it's not as horrible if I give it a nice name right?). It would be so nice if he just let me touch his feet!

5. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Great read.

She calls it control (lack of). I've always called it "choice". It's a matter of getting "them" to make the right choice.

6. Dartman

Dartman Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Terry
    I always tried to let Lurch do as he pleased as long as it wasn't hurting him or destroying something. I think because of that I slowly (very slowly) earned his begrudging trust and love. He started flying after me like a puppy at the end and we kept making breakthroughs and reaching a understanding with each other.
    Nerd basically was stuck with me after his brother died pretty suddenly and we grieved and bonded. He was allowed the same life as Lurch and he fully trusted and loved me his whole life. Dobby gets the same as well and is a happy, outgoing, and extremely confident Maxi. He loves my sister but likes everyone he meets, even though he loves messing with mom.
    Very good read and I agree with it. Allow them to be a parrot and they will make their own choices and choose who they will. You can earn their trust and they be a loyal family member and friend the rest of their life, or yours.

7. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Sarah
    @Dartman It's interesting that you brought them control as long as they're not in harms way. As a owner of a self mutilator I couldn't help but think about that too. I think control has a lot to with why I'm such a hard time with Zane accepting a fabric collar. I think he tolerates the plastic plate ones because he knows he can get out of them. If he would accept a fabric one he'd have to rely on me to take it on and off. Hard to say what's going on inside his head. I do feel there certain "This is something I can control" aspect to it.

I agree with the idea of giving birds much control as you can without endangering them or others. It's tricky thou because I also believe reasonable boundaries too. Like not letting an aggressive bird on your shoulder and things like that. Or the way you set boundaries with a toddler. I guess it just goes to show how complex these little feathered beings we let into our lives are.

Dartman, JLcribber and Fritzgerald16 like this.
  8. Dartman

Dartman Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Terry
    Lurch did not get much shoulder time till he MOSTLY learned squawking then biting me in the neck wasn't the appropriate way to let me know he wanted something while he was up there. I did learn a few of the reasons he would do it and once I allowed him to do or play with what he actually wanted the biting in those cases stopped because he knew if he waited his desired thing would be allowed to happen and he got to stay on my shoulder.

Sarahmoluccan likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)