• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

giving medicine easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
2 days ago, i noticed that Happy started cough. so i went to the Vet. He gave me some medicine. i have to give Happy by syringe twice a day. it is hard to give him. he normally ignores it. if i force him to take, he will out. I am afraid that he will take less dose than he must. what should I do for him? Is there any method which easier than using syringe?..Thank a lot:rofl:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Here is some great info about orally medicating your bird
Medicating Pet Birds Orally

Medicating orally is this only sure way to properly medicate your bird and dosage correctly. It is possible to hide the meds in a small amount of food like peanut butter but they must eat the entire portion you serve.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I put it in the handfeeding formula. I also have put it in a spoon with handfeeding formula or a little juice and give it that way.

Ginger

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
Happy is blue and gold macaw that i cannot hold him in my hand. what should i do?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Does he eat food from your hand?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
yes, i give him soaked pellet.
But how can i do that?
You can try to soak a pellet or two like normal and add the meds to those and feed him.. Quick note....alternate the couple of pellets that have the meds with soften pellets that don't have meds in them.
Macaws can bite the tip of the syringes off when medicating them so hope you have a number of the syringes...
try the soft pellets first and see how that goes...
Have you tried giving applesauce (cooked mashed apple) to him? That is something my macaws like and will take it from a spoon...here again, just a spoon full that is mixed with the meds and try that...
What type of fruit does he like?
Again mashing the fruit and adding the meds and feeding him that...:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Chris I am giving meds to my Quaker right now. Granted there is a big difference in size but Danita gave me a great tip that has worked wonderfully for me. I put Tequila on my lap facing sideways on my lap so his right side is facing me. I hold the sides of his head with my left hand so my palm is on the back of his head and give him the meds with the syringe using my right hand and having him take the meds from the side of his beak instead of from the front. That way he cant push the syringe away as easily with his tongue. After the first time I tried it like that it has worked beautifully.

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Pako will run around the house like a mad bird if I let him get away from me.
He HATES medicine time. He'll hold the stuff in his beak and wait till I put him back and shake his head to spit it out. I try to open his mouth and put the stuff more in the back of his throat, but I don't want him to choke!

I'm thinking now that maybe I can put it in little whole wheat bread chunks...? What do you guys think? He LOVES whole wheat bread chunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.