• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Giving a budgie away ?

markUK

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm thinking of giving one budgie away. She's being nasty to male budgie. He's trying to romance her 'coz he's ready to mate and she doesn't seem to have any interest in mating. She occupies a nesting box most of the day and lets male budgie to feed her, but apart from that she's pretty nasty to him and sometimes I can see she goes "after him". They never mated and yet she's
inside of the box most of the day. Pretty anti-social if you ask me. She can be also very dominant. I've seen some videos on YouTube where female budgies are rather submissive and easy to get along with. My female is nothing like that.

Any thoughts ? I'm seriously thinking of giving her up. My male budgie deserves better partner.

markUK

Checking out the neighborhood
I removed the nesting box to observe her behaviour. I noticed she's awfully quiet. She doesn't chirp or anything. She only makes herself heard when
the male teases her or trying to be playful with her. Other than that she's silent and prefers to be alone.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Female budgies do tend to be dominant over the males, and they are usually also quieter.
I don't think you need to give her away - but removing the nestbox is a good idea. It doesn't sound like they're interested in breeding right now, and it's not good for her to spend all her time in the box.
Do they have a big enough cage that they can get away from each other a little? Budgies, especially males, tend to be pretty hyperactive, and in a smaller space, can get on each others' nerves. Despite this, they are social and usually much happier with another budgie around, they just need some space to fly, and it's also good to provide two food dishes to avoid squabbles over food.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good to take out nest box. When the budgies use it to sleep or hide it is not needed. Your female bird is acting like any normal female would. It certainly is not a reason to re home her. Let nature take its course and let them be. We do have enough budgies in the world that they will not go extinct.