• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gimp

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Does anyone use the Gimp photo editing software? It looks a photoshop spinoff but there is no charge. I did just order a how to book to learn how to use it. Looking for some feedback from users.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I don’t, my best friend used to use it though and she Said it was great and easy to use. She Made the covers for our group projects with it:)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have " Aviary" and " Photo pro" on my phone , that's what I use to crop and edit photos and videos.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have it on my computer but I've never used it since I have Photoshop. I wanted to try it out and do a comparison since I don't want to update my version of PS by purchasing one of the Cloud subscriptions.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bought a book for beginners .I learn better that way.

Aviana

Strolling the yard
Learning it is on my list of things to do. I have been interested for a few years now, but keep putting it off.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Learning it is on my list of things to do. I have been interested for a few years now, but keep putting it off.
Youtube has tons of tutorials. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I watched the YouTube instructional videos and they really did not help me. I need to learn at a slower pace and the individuals doing the videos are not always covering at a slower rate for first time people. I took a course to learn Photoshop in adult education with a live instructor and it was just fantastic. Just cannot afford to get another Photoshop after it crashed and burned along with my computer.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Hi LJ!

Sorry if this is off topic but I still can't seem to navigate this site. Everything is taking five minutes and that is if I can get on it at all. Is anybody else having this problem this week? I have been using both firefox and explorer.

miya

Strolling the yard
Real Name
miya
@Lady Jane - late reply here, not sure how your gimp journey is going, but a few months back I was having the same problem as you where my old laptop died and my photoshop went with it. I recently found a program called Medibang Paint Pro, it's free and functions a lot like photoshop! Might be worth checking out if you still need a program to use :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Gimp is like learning Photoshop all over again. I ordered a book Gimp for Beginners but it got lost in the mail so I am getting a replacement. So far I have just been learning on my own. Thanks for the suggestion and I will take a look.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you self taught?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I tried it, it confused me, so I use paint.net instead. It's also free, and pretty easy to use.