• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Giardia

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Since Zane has been diagnosed with having Giardia I've been trying read and learn as much as I can. I find it can be rather confusing at times. But I've stumble across a couple articles I'd like to share.

The first one is about birds
Giardia in Birds

Second one is about dogs and Giardia. It doesn't bring up birds but it talk how contagious really is and should we always be concerned when it's found in dogs.
Giardia in Dogs: Is It a Major Danger or Just a Normal Bug?

I've been worried if my bird could give it to my dog or vice versa. These articles suggest that I shouldn't worry it. Yet I can't find anything that's 100% sure. Plus I can't seem to find what type of Giardia birds typically have. So its been frustrating on that end.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I can't be of much help but I can tell you what I do know. There are several genotypes of Giardia. Usually Giardia in birds is not spread to humans. Same goes for dogs as far as human transmission. This doesn't mean it can't happen but it's usually different genotypes. The same *may* go for different animal species as well. This article may be of interest to you if you have access to journals: Zoonotic potential and molecular epidemiology of Giardia species and giardiasis. - PubMed - NCBI
I'd ask your vet what he/she thinks and treat it as if it were transmissible just in case if you cannot get a definite answer. Also, I would think the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) should have relevant information.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@MandaExotics Thank you :) I haven't read all of it yet but has clear some things up for me

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I only have birds, and had a Giardia issue not long ago, we got it cleared up with "Rinovet" powder in the drinking water and sanitation from Hades..I'm not sure if it' spread from feathers to fur, or fur to feathers..your vet should know..:hug8: