• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting Sassy to Let Me Touch Her Wings

Modell

Strolling the yard
Hello all! It's been awhile since I posted about Sassy Bird. Ive made some great strides in her training, today she circled back and landed on me during training. Unfortunately, her wings being clipped does make it more difficult, I can't wait till She jolts and gets new flight feathers! She even will touch the harness I got her and pick it up. My biggest issue right now is getting her to let me touch her wings. She bites and hisses if I try. Thankfully, it's not hard, but it still makes it difficult to touch her wings. I don't want to force the issue, but at the same time, I would like to be able to touch her wings. At the very least, just to get her to put them up, but ultimately to get the harness on her. Any tips? Thank you in advance!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yoy can say a command like touch or wings, and then just touch the outside of her wing for a second with your finger. Use a clicker or praise her and give her a treat. Once she lets you do this consistently, you can try touching it for a bit longer, then you can move up to lifting the wing for just a second, etc. Just break everything up into small approximatations. Have you looked at any Barbara Heidenreich training videos?

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I've been wondering about that issue myself with TD. Have you used a flight harness before with any bird? TD is my first bird in the parrot family. My only other bird was a fledgling Band Tailed Pigeon that I rescued from some feral cats last summer and raised til she was ready for a soft release. It broke my heart to let her go, but the Band Tailed Pigeons need as many breeding members of their species doing what they do, and, of course, she needed to be doing it!

Then I rescued my little cockatiel. What a difference! It's fascinating how different birds are! But, I need all the advice I can find to do the right thing with TD.

Also, any advice on how to trim his/her nails?

Modell

Strolling the yard
@Tiel Feathers Alright, I'll try with the touch command and I'll check out the videos. Thank you so much!
@Alien J Sassy is my first bird, so I have no experience I'm afraid. I just want her to be able to enjoy flying while staying safe. I understand how hard letting go of an animal you raised can be, I try and help wildlife whenever I can. Thank you for being compassionate and caring enough to not only help out an injured bird, but to let her go as well. It takes a certain kind of person to do so.

When I was a kid, my dad had canaries. They had one baby, who he "gave" to me. Peepers was a wonderful little bird and I realize now he was bonded to me, but at the time I was a little girl and didn't live with my dad. I remember wanting to bring him home, but my family was not in a good place for birds. He ended up being loved by another little girl when my father moved to C.A. From what I understand, he may still be alive, although very old. I did help trip his nails, but that was about it other than kiss him and play with him.

I'm afraid Peepers and some quail chicks I tried, and miserably failed, to save are the only bird experience I have besides Sassy. I don't really remember how to trim nails anymore. However, I do use a pedicure perch for Sassy. It works well. It's a pumice stone and I bought it at Wal-Mart. It should be brightly colored if you can find it.

I've been watching TD's story for quite some time now and am still amazed at the transformation!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
@Modell , thank you for your kind words! I have been dragging every type of hurt/lost creature home with me since I was just a wee little bit of a girl! Guess I should have been a vet.

During the four years I lived in Glen Avon, CA I "rescued" a total of 64! When I say rescued, I mean I got them off the street, back to their owner, to the shelter, or kept for a bit till they could be safely released... not that I kept them all! That would have been a sight in my studio apartment!

The oddest one was a "fancy" chicken that had NO EYES! Not even sockets where the eyes should have been!

One of the best ones was a litter of coyote puppies this past February that my dogs found while we were walking in a medical complex in Rancho Cucamonga while my boyfriend was having X-rays taken. They still had their umbilical cords attached. They were almost skeletal and one was already deceased so I figured Mom wasn't coming back! Animal Control came and got them. I followed up with the officer who told me the pup's were being nursed by an injured female coyote whose pup's had not been found when she was hit by a car and brought in.

I hope you and Sassy will have many, many years together!

As for TD, I'm becoming more and more anxious for the first molt to see if I have a baby boy or a baby girl!

Modell

Strolling the yard
@Alien J I was the same why, I sobbed as a child over shot pigeons in our yard. I still can't understand why someone would shot a bird and let it suffer. They were such needless deaths.
Woah! I've mainly just helped out reptiles and amphibians myself. I saved over 200 tadpoles last summer just before their pond was parking lot posioned. I caught hundreds of live ants each day to feed them and eventually gave them a soft release into my front yard where they dispersed into the surrounding Mesa. I still see them from time to time.
The coolest rescues I've done involved humming birds. I had to catch one with a butterfly net!
I'm so glad some people care about coyote, where I live, there are killing contests for them. I hate it.
Same here, I'm thinking Sassy might be starting her first mini molt as she has been losing a lot of down and in some places, her feathers seem painful. I haven't seen any pins, but I think they're there.
I'm currently debating whether or not to get two conures at Petco. Their cage looks as if it hasn't been cleaned in years. Their poop is also bright blue, I guess from artificial dyes. I have a cage, but I don't really have 500 yet(I have a petperks card) to spend on nonemergency funds. In a week or so I will, but I dont know what will befall them in the meantime. The one loved my mom and the other was rolling over for me. Both female and appear to be bonded. Ugh. I want to help them so bad.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
As for nails, I like to have them done at the vets or pet store, but with one of my tiels I have to do it at home because they grow really fast. It's best it you have someone to help you. One person can towel the bird (I like to cover their head too, to keep them calmer) while the other person clips. Make sure you have some styptic powder nearby, and only cut off the very, very tip. You know when your birds nails are too long when they snag on your clothes. I also heard that they are getting too ong when they touch a tabletop while standing flat.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
@Tiel Feathers thanks for the input. I do my dog's nails for the most part. Though the black nails scare me! I am just so worried about damaging the trust with TD. With his/her shaky, abusive start, and my rookie mistakes, it feels like I am always doing something wrong. Like moving too fast, dropping things (constantly) around him/her, yelling at my dog to stop barking (which I know doesn't work!)...etc. Is it very expensive too have them done...heck, I don't get my nails done (hahahaha).

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
was the same why, I sobbed as a child over shot pigeons in our yard. I still can't understand why someone would shot a bird and let it suffer
Would you believe that in Pennsylvania they still allow the use of pigeons for live target practice on firing ranges? The shooters pay local kids to go bring in the dead ones and if the bird isn't dead from the shot, the kids are instructed to "just stomp them on the head". Great way to teach kids respect for all life, huh?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Would you believe that in Pennsylvania they still allow the use of pigeons for live target practice on firing ranges? The shooters pay local kids to go bring in the dead ones and if the bird isn't dead from the shot, the kids are instructed to "just stomp them on the head". Great way to teach kids respect for all life, huh?
:omg: That's disgusting and awful!!

Maybe his nails can go for a bit until he's a bit more comfortable.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
That's disgusting and awful!!

Maybe his nails can go for a bit until he's a bit more comfortable.
Yes it is disgusting. I really was surprised to hear about it. Wouldn't that go against any and all of the animal cruelty laws that PA has on the books? I know they have some.

There was a report on the news that a man in New York was caught on video netting a large amount of the city pigeons...they believe it was to sell them to PA firing ranges. So, not only do they shoot and stomp them...first they take them from their homes and keep them locked up till they need them! Something needs to be done!

They're pretty long. Maybe one of those perches?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor pigeons!:(
Many people like the Saftey Pumice perches, but watch your tiels feet closely, one of my tiels started getting bumble foot from one of those. You will still need to have the nails trimmed, but it might prolong it a bit.

Rolanda

You know, I've wondered about this myself. Mo is fine with me touching him on the back and touching his feathers. Beaks goes Terminator Bird and will bite the *&%$ out of you if you try. There was one short period of a week that he let us touch him and it was nice. Is it important to be able to touch their wings?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It's not necessary at all. I only touch one of my tiels wings, because I am trying to get her to wear a harness. I never touch my other birds wings.

Modell

Strolling the yard
Hey Everyone, sorry for the delay, my dog had surgery and I was helping to take care of her. I also am pretty sure Sassy is starting her first molt, it's not just down I'm finding anymore. Though, isn't she a bit young? She just hatched April 1st, so I thought she still had a month or so to go at least.

@Alien J That's disgusting! The nerve of some people. It makes no sense to be cruel to animals unless you have a mental disorder.

@Tiel Feathers That's the brand I use! So far no foot issues, but I'll keep an eye out.

@Rolanda I'm just doing it to harness train Sassy. She doesn't like it too much, though I think I'm making a little progress, lol.

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
Honestly, I would let a vet do your bird's nails. It's a dangerous thing to screw up, and it can, potentially, break the trust.

As for her wings... I can't tell you how to start now that she's a bit older. I started Remus off, giving just under his wings a little tickle to get him to raise them, since he was a baby. Now I just have to say "boop boops" and make the motion and he raises them. Even if you're not flight training, it can be an important thing to train them, in case of injury. We've had to do it a few times for Arya and he DID NOT appreciate it, because we hadn't taught him to allow it.