• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting rid of toys for a treated sick bird?

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Hello, my bird developed a bacterial infection about 3 weeks ago and we're still trying to treat it using antibiotics (she was on chloramphenicol before and now she's on amoxi/clav...) and I was just wondering... when she gets better do I have to get rid of all the toys in her cage and replace them? Like so she doesn't get sick again... the vet didn't mention that but I just thought of it recently. Some toys can be washed but others can't since they're made of soft wood and other porous material... What does everyone here do when their bird gets sick?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I would disinfect the cage, bowls and toys that are washable.

All others if not washable I would toss. Perches can be sanitized and put put in the sun.

Prayers to your little one. :)

Linearis

Walking the driveway
For perches... I could put it in the sun but it's below 0 here so they'd probably just freeze... although maybe that's good in a way lol.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
For perches... I could put it in the sun but it's below 0 here so they'd probably just freeze... although maybe that's good in a way lol.
Dishwasher on sanitize too. Rope perches wash well in the dishwasher if you have any. Wood can withstand this too.

Sorry it's so cold there brrr!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Same here! Just call me dishwasher. I bake toys or put them in the freezer that's below zero for several days. So if it's wood, I bake it; plastic or acrylic, freeze it. Either way, it gets a spritzing of F10 which I allow to evaporate first.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Ok, I'll try that. I wonder if I can bake seagrass though... I feel it would burn faster than wood. Might not be worth it. x.x I could just keep some parts of it but get rid of the mat... Now I kinda regret putting it in before she got better, especially since she didn't use it much. Was like 23$ for the toy.

I thought you weren't supposed to use F10 on porous surfaces though, that's what I remember on instructions anyway... but it's been a while.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Like many members, I have several birds, many of which come and go, get sick then well, etc. Toys usually get made from scavenged parts. Everything gets sterilized between birds. PLEASE DON'T START A FIRE!!! Anything I can't COMFORTABLY bake, I freeze. The thing is parts must freeze for several days to be sure it spends at least 24 hours frozen fully through. I've never had a problem, so I'm either very lucky or it works.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Advice to freeze to kill bacteria though... is a bit contrary to things I learned. From what I know, freezing does not kill bacteria but just puts them in a dormant state (becoming active again once warmed up) so... Not sure what freezing would do. I'll probably have to throw out the things I can't bake or use f10 on.

D

Deleted member 29421

Ok, I'll try that. I wonder if I can bake seagrass though... I feel it would burn faster than wood. Might not be worth it. x.x I could just keep some parts of it but get rid of the mat... Now I kinda regret putting it in before she got better, especially since she didn't use it much. Was like 23$ for the toy.

I thought you weren't supposed to use F10 on porous surfaces though, that's what I remember on instructions anyway... but it's been a while.

You can boil things you cant bake. As far as disinfectants go, I use Rescue. Non toxic, accelerated hydrogen peroxide. Kills everything.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Advice to freeze to kill bacteria though... is a bit contrary to things I learned. From what I know, freezing does not kill bacteria but just puts them in a dormant state (becoming active again once warmed up) so... Not sure what freezing would do. I'll probably have to throw out the things I can't bake or use f10 on.
Actually, I think that is pretty common knowledge. Maybe not. As I said, I spray with F10 first. Maybe I'm just very lucky. Who knows.

If you do bake, it needs to reach 165F through.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Yeah, just not sure I can actually use F10 on porous surfaces. I'll ask my vet when she gives me results for culture they did. Tired of Lumi's meds not working so I want them to actually figure out what bacteria it is.