• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting My Budgie to Eat His Veggies... Any Ideas?

Brenifer

Moving in
My budgie Hane (ha-nae) is a very stubborn eater and I'm worried because I want him to have a healthy diet. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can maybe get him to eat the vegetables I give to him?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep offering Hane the veggies. Some people make mashes or birdie bread. I've never been successful with that with any of my birds although they do eat veggies but not in mashes or bread. Maybe someone who does that can post some recipes/ideas for you.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
When I had budgies, it seemed like the "gateway drug/food" for mine was corn and peas!! I would thaw a serving of the mixed veggie frozen mix (corn, peas, and carrots) and offer it for a few hours. Patience and persistence is what it takes. I think one of my budgies took over a year to start eating peas; then he would eat the peas and corn just fine. Don't give up!!

Brenifer

Moving in
When I had budgies, it seemed like the "gateway drug/food" for mine was corn and peas!! I would thaw a serving of the mixed veggie frozen mix (corn, peas, and carrots) and offer it for a few hours. Patience and persistence is what it takes. I think one of my budgies took over a year to start eating peas; then he would eat the peas and corn just fine. Don't give up!!
Thank you for the advice! I haven't tried peas yet (mainly because no one in my family seems to eat them so I hardly ever buy them lol) but I'll give them a try. He doesn't necessarily seem to enjoy carrots and always turns his beak up at them but I'll keep trying. Thank you!
:bounce3:

Brenifer

Moving in
Keep offering Hane the veggies. Some people make mashes or birdie bread. I've never been successful with that with any of my birds although they do eat veggies but not in mashes or bread. Maybe someone who does that can post some recipes/ideas for you.
That's an interesting idea. I'm not much of a baker (lol) but it sounds fun to try!
:bounce4:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
You can always put his favorite treat in broccoli and then feed him the broccoli and as he is picking his treats out he will be eating the broccoli as well .... I make birdie bread ,mashes and chops for my birds all sizes from big pieces to the actual food processed size sometimes they like to choose different sizes of fruits and veggies ...but like what other people have said mostly its just waiting them out :)

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I have a picky lovebird who was never fed fruits and veggies her whole life in her previous home, I've had great success getting her to eat veggies by hiding pureed veggies in birdie bread! I usually use oat flour for a base (or ground up pellets) and pureed banana for a substitute for egg and add some other pureed fruit that I have on hand. Hopefully one day she'll just eat her vegetables but in the mean time that's how I'm getting them into her

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If your bird likes millet, push individual millet seeds in among the broccoli greens like Annette says above.

Most birds love corn over all veggies. Then peas, squash, sweet potatoes...
Takes time and effort.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have noticed that some people have enticed budgies by wedging vegetable chunks in between cage bars. Be creative: you'll find something that will work, just keep at it.