• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting Cockatiel back in his cage

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
Ok so my previous post I kind of touched this but I want to clean my room today to make sure it's bird safe. After that I want to one day soon finally let Sol back out but my mom won't let me until I'm certain I have a way to get him back in. I've never had a bird before as you can probably tell. I'm learning slowly I think but I just want to hear suggestions about how to get him back in. The only other thing he's been willing to try besides his seed is millet. I'm still trying to get him to eat some greens or fruit.

Last edited by a moderator:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My dad's budgies go back to their cage on their own in the evening to sleep, and throughout the day when they get hungry or thirsty but I'm not sure how long it took them to learn that.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
When I first got my tiel, I used millet spray as a "cage only treat". He'd get a piece for going back into his cage. You can try using that to entice him in.

Henry's Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Henry
When I first got my tiel, I used millet spray as a "cage only treat". He'd get a piece for going back into his cage. You can try using that to entice him in.
This is what I did when my budgie Lydia got loose.

Tari&Miguel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlotte
Hi! I’ve had trouble getting Miguel back into his cage. He will bite me and divebomb me and is just crazy!! Now I’ve been patient and I’ll pick up Tari my other bird. And show Miguel it’s ok, so then I’ve been having guel step up and then I’ll put him down somewhere fun like by a good snack or next to Tari... but he still doesn’t quite trust me so I continue to be consistent and patient and try not to yell or react when he bites me... he’s slowly getting better but it takes time...I’m No expert , Tari is the first bird I ever had in my life and not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I’d have two little dudes!

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi @Tari&Miguel - this is an older post and the person who asked this question hasn't been on AA since mid-January. Thank you for trying to help out, but I don't think they'll see your response.

Welcome to the Avenue by the way!