• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting closer to adoption...cage recommendations?

Drsnickles

Moving in
Hello All!
I am still volunteering at the Gabriel Foundation and we get to start meeting some potential new fids up close and personal soon! I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on where to purchase a cage? I've been looking for used ones (no luck) and looked at the vendors here at AA. I've also looked at Birdcages4less. We can easily fit a 48" cage. Recommendations for playstands are also welcome!
Oh, and we are leaning heavily towards a macaw- we have 4 on our short list- but there are still 2 Toos in the running!
And of course, if you know of an old thread that I can just refer to, that's fine too :).
Thanks!
nichole

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Personally I like Avian adventure cages, have two myself and really like them. Animal environments is on my wish list of cages. I believe @Hankmacaw has one? She might be able to fill you in on those. Expandable habitats seems to be a favorite here too. I believe they only to SS cages thou. What type of cage are you looking for? :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Those look nice but I don't have any experience with those so I can't offer too much advice. A couple things did jump out at me with those. First while I like the way the the Victorian top cage looks, I'm not sure how it would be for cleaning. It might seem minor now the extra time to get in to the nooks and crannies can add up and maybe annoying in the long run.

The drop door has easy escape written all over it to me. I've haven't use one so I don't know if that's an easy fix or not. I can almost certainly guarantee you the latch it comes with won't be enough. That's just my 2 cents. Take what was helpful and leave what wasn't ;)

D

Deleted member 29421

I cant find the post but just the other day someone posted about someone coming home and finding their bird dead, having strangled itself in one of those cages that opens up on top. Im trying to find the post....

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I absolutely love the first white cage - and that huge door - wow! I just read about the bird strangling himself on the playtop cage - how awful! We can never take cage and toys safety seriously enough it seems.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Check out the Avian Adventures Grande and Hacienda. Depends on which bird you are considering getting. If you are considering a smaller 'too, such as a Goffin's, then the Avian Adventures Mediana will work but if you have the space for a bigger cage than check out the other two I listed. The cages come in play top and dome top versions. I have 8 Avian Adventures cages.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes!! I hate that too!! You can't really get a feel for a cage by looking online. It terribly frustrating. Especially since they are so expensive. Do have a bird store around you? Even if you just go to look and then buy one online that you saw there. Bird cages are usually cheaper online. Also reach out to the rescue too. They'll have lots of experience with cages :)