• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

getting another budgie

netty

Moving in
for just over a year ive owned two budgies. it took them a while to get used to me since i [now regretfully] purchased them from a petstore, but they've adapted. this morning one of my budgies suddenly passed away, which I believer was unfortunately from getting into some of the soil of my aloe vera plant, which was poisonous. my question, however, is what to do about the remaining one. ive cleaned the cage + toys and replaced the food and water just in case its infectious, but he seems fine. I'm aware parakeets are social birds and as someone who has school most of the day I'm worried he'll be lonely.

so, should I get another one? if so, from petstore yet again or a breeder [which I'm leaning to]. I'm giving my plant to my friend to avoid another incident like this from occurring and double checked my room for anything else that could harm my remaining budgie. my current budgie is fairly well hand trained, so I don't think ill have a problem training the new one.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome...I am so sorry for the loss of one of your budgies. Without a necropsy, I don't think you can be sure what your budgie died from. I have heard budgies do well with the company of another. There was a budgie found where I work - I gave him a home and also got him a friend that I purchased. There was no problem introducing him to another. If you do get another, please quarantine, also a vet check and wellness exam for the new one is a good idea. Also consider a vet check for your current one.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am never a fan of pet store birds. If you have bird rescues near you please look for needy budgies that do not have a home. You just might find a little treasure. To my knowledge Aloe plants are not poisonous. Did the bird eat the soil?

If you do get another budgie be prepared to quarantine in a separate room for 1 month. So you will need another cage. I cannot stress how important this is.
So sorry you lost one.

netty

Moving in
To my knowledge Aloe plants are not poisonous. Did the bird eat the soil?
unfortunately, yes. my budgies both discovered the small potted plant while i was moving a few things and i got them away pretty fast, but i think he unfortunately injested one of the perlite pods in the soil, which is poisonous, the reason for which im just going to ditch the plant all together than take the risk of my surviving buddy taking a hit.

im currently keeping an eye on my alive one. he seems fine, though he was calling out for his friend a few times. he's still eating (and drinking water, i presume). i set up my carrier in case he does need to go to the vet.

ill most likely wait until a break (a month or two away) happens before attempting to introduce another one, and to make sure my surviving one didn't ingest anything either.

thank you for your help + words, it means a lot.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Netty I hope all works out well for you and please do come back to boast about your new budgie if you get one.

Andres H

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! Im so sorry for your loss... Something you can do is what i did. I have 1 budgie, all by himself. And he is living the happiest little life. He plays with me, gives me some leftover food, kisses me, imitates R2D2 and so much more. It is a wonder if a human can connect with a budgie. It just takes time. Start off slow. Maybe he needs another budgie, since he grew up with him. With mine hes gotten so attached that if i put in another one he will kill him. Try to see how he is. If he is fine and floofy then its cool, but if he is sad, you may want to think about getting another. I understand school gets in the way, but you can fix that with toys. Many toys. Remember budgies need a flock. As I am mines flock. They just need a buddy. Whether its you. Or a budgie.

PS: See Alen AxP on Youtube! His budgies remind me of mine. Attatched