• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting another budgie??

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have a couple questions regarding my two female budgies, and I noticed that i haven't posted about my budgies in a while! I currently have 2 female budgies that do not get along. We found domo for a little over 6 years ago, and got petunia from the shelter around a year ago. I had originally wanted them to be companions but when petunia came home, she started laying. Then domo started laying too! Even though she never payed before even when she lived with males. Petunia layed around 15-20 eggs since I have had her. And they both seem lonely since they are by themselves. I was wondering if they might get along if here was a male with them? And maybe petunia would stop laying so much if she had the chance to actually hatch some babies? Domo is also not hand game, so she can't really socialize with me but their cages are close and my cockatoo talks with them and plays with them through the cage. But it would be great if they could get along. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sometimes female budgies get along with each other and sometimes not as in your two. Three is not such a good number in the bird world because one bird may be left out. How big is the budgie cage? Is there plenty of room for the two females and do they have separate feeding dishes? If not then can you make some changes? Do you interact with them individually so each one gets your undivided attention?

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
If they are laying so many eggs I hope they are getting enough calcium in their diet. I dont know much about these things. Sorry as I know its not what your post is about. I would say that it is unlikely your two females will ever take to one another. But they probably still receive benefit from being in cages next to one another as they are flock animals. It is a tricky situation as its impossible to know, if say you get them both a buddy, if they will get along with their "new" respective buddies. This would mean having 4 budgies not 3 (2 each per cage). And introducing them is a long process to ensure there is no rejection.And if they didn't get along you'd then need 4 cages......