• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting an Aracari

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
Thanks! Yes, the betta beds are out of stock at the moment, but I have time. I am assuming I should get the large?

And of course pictures and videos will be required! :p

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
So, I really don't want to be a pain in asking so many questions (especially since it will be a while before I get my baby) but there is really limited information out there.

So, here are a few more questions I have if anyone can help me out. I promise I won't keep bugging people. At least not until it is closer to time for my baby to come home. :D

1. What is the best type of cage to get? I have seen some cage options, but just wondered what is the ideal size, spacing, etc.

2. Does anyone have their aracari haness trained? I would like to be able to take mine outside but I am not sure what size harness would work?

3. I keep reading that they cannot be around smaller birds. What size is smaller? Are cockatiels okay or could they be seen as prey? I have no problem keeping them separate, but it would be nice if they could be out at the same time. Of course I am not willing to risk my tiels safety though.

Ok, I think that is all for now. Otherwise I will just continue living vicariously. Man, is it going to be a long year! :eek:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
1. The best kind of cage is the biggest cage you can afford, and one with a large door you can get your shoulders in for proper cleaning. Or better yet, take it outside to wash or pressure wash. Something 5' long, by at least 3' deep would be nice....or bigger!;)
2.Aracaris have no "shoulders" if you will, and can slide right through a harness like a weasel. I have a friend who is working with Steve Hartman{the person who makes the aviator} to come up with new designs for aracaris.I believe a proper harness would be easy to use on an aracari. They are not like a parrot, in that you can just pick them up and do whatever you need to do with them. Unlike a parrot that might take a hunk out of your hand, they are not physically able.
3. A cockatiel would be easy for them to snag and kill. They take hold of the bird and shake it and beat it against whatever. They are lightning fast!:eek: Do not underestimate their ability in this case. They also glare and stare at small birds, so to me should be housed where they cannot see them. The small birds would be uncomfortable, and the aracari will be unnecessarily stressed.

Last edited:

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
Thank you so much! The problem I am finding with really large cages is that the bar spacing is large. I think 1" spacing is too wide, right?

I hope they come up with a harness that works for them. I have read somewhere (can't remember where now) about people taking theirs out and about but if harnesses don't work I don't know how it can be done without the bird being in a cage? I am confused lol!

Great to know about the tiels. I also have a Sennie, but she is is aggressive to other animals so I wouldn't think about them being out together. I guess separate play times for all, then. I will either block the tiels from the sight of the aracari or just put him/her in another room.

:thanks: Thanks again for all of your help! I really just want to do everything right for my current birdies and my future birdie.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Jewels is in a cage with 1" bar spacing.She does fine in it. Tanya's Elliot has 1" bar spacing. But there are cages with 1/2" bar spacing that are large, like the cage I have Kismet in.There are some with 5/8"spacing as well. There is also the option of a custom cage, not all are extremely expensive.

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
Ok, it is good to know that 1" spacing is not out of the question. I think the double macaw cages would be nice if 1" works! Custom made is also something to look into.

I was also thinking about getting two of the double flight cages like Pico has to double the depth, but I am not sure if that could work structurally.

I will figure it out lol!

Thank you so much, this helps a lot!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Just read up on Acracari's - what wonderful pets! Wishing you the best!

Noncomposmentes

Checking out the neighborhood
[FONT=&amp]I've lurked on this forum for quite some time, reading everything that people post, but actually joined so I could be able to post in this topic. My experience with my green aracari differs from a lot of people's and so I thought it might be useful to share.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Many people talk about the mess of aracari's but mine is probably the un-messiest bird I've ever met. Some people claim that the size of their food doesn't matter but I don't believe that at all. From day one, I have always chopped his food into VERY small chunks (to give you an idea, I quarter grapes and those are about twice the size of anything else he eats). I chop everything by hand using a santoku knife and a paring knife -- I've yet to some across a food processor or chopper that does nearly as good of a job. If a piece of food is too big, an aracari will do one of two things: they will either squeeze it repeatedly with their beak which causes juice to squirt all over the place or they will bang it against the perch they're on which, again, causes juice to fly. My aracari never does that. He picks up a piece of food and swallows it -- no mess, no fuss. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Blueberries are their favorite food and I've found that even with halved, fresh blueberries, he makes a bit of a mess with them. I use Welch's frozen blueberries. They're MUCH smaller than fresh or any other frozen blueberry and he gobbles them up just as much as fresh ones. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]As a precaution against mess, I hung vinyl shower curtain on the inside of his cage behind his dishes but, honestly, I hardly ever have to wipe it down as he almost never gets anything on it. I have him in the double flight cage that others on here have and I can completely and fully clean his cage in under half an hour -- he's really that un-messy. I do, however, change the papers lining the bottom of the cage daily; the dropped fruit and their poop tends to get a bit smelly otherwise. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
I also only chop his food once a week. I get up at 5:00 for my job, and the prospect of having to get up even earlier to chop fruit wasn't a pleasing one. I chop his fruit on Saturday mornings for the week and it takes me about two hours. I measure out two cups of fruit for each day and store it in individual Lock-And-Lock containers in the fridge and it stays completely fresh all week. I also sprinkle the fruit with dried oregano which has terrific anti-fungal properties and helps with freshness. Additionally, I supplement his fruit with a 1/2 tsp. of organic coconut oil every other day which does wonders for his plumage, not to mention the benefits of the lauric acid and medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil. All of my animals get coconut oil. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Many people swear by Mazuri pellets, but I use Zupreem exclusively. The third ingredient in Mazuri is corn gluten. Even though it's popular as a feed for livestock, corn gluten is basically indigestible and I don't think it has any place in an avian diet.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Many aracari's bathe in their water; mine almost never does, but I think this is because I shower with him every day. He has a perch in the shower and absolutely loves it. He'll get directly under the shower head until he's completely waterlogged and he also loves being blow-dried after. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My aracari also doesn't sleep in his cage. At night, when I turn off his full-spectrum lights ( I use Lumichrome 1XX bulbs, the best full-spectrum light on the market bar-none) he flies over to me on the bed. I wrap him up in a receiving blanket and he falls right asleep. Once he's asleep, I put him in his blanket into a wicker basket on my nightstand and he stays there until the alarm goes off. It's pretty cute.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Aracari's are incredible animals. Very un-parrot like in so many ways and I think that's a good thing. They're not the emotional basket cases that parrots can be. They pretty much take everything in stride. It amazes me that they're not more popular than they are. I've had lots of experience with various hookbills but I consider the aracari to be the perfect bird.[/FONT]

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome to Avian Avenue! I love your post! I agree 100%:)

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations! This is INCREDIBLY exciting! As an Aussie I've NEVER seen ANY form of aracari or toucan, so you're so super lucky to be preparing too own one!
Best of luck!

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
[FONT=&amp]I've lurked on this forum for quite some time, reading everything that people post, but actually joined so I could be able to post in this topic. My experience with my green aracari differs from a lot of people's and so I thought it might be useful to share.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Many people talk about the mess of aracari's but mine is probably the un-messiest bird I've ever met. Some people claim that the size of their food doesn't matter but I don't believe that at all. From day one, I have always chopped his food into VERY small chunks (to give you an idea, I quarter grapes and those are about twice the size of anything else he eats). I chop everything by hand using a santoku knife and a paring knife -- I've yet to some across a food processor or chopper that does nearly as good of a job. If a piece of food is too big, an aracari will do one of two things: they will either squeeze it repeatedly with their beak which causes juice to squirt all over the place or they will bang it against the perch they're on which, again, causes juice to fly. My aracari never does that. He picks up a piece of food and swallows it -- no mess, no fuss. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Blueberries are their favorite food and I've found that even with halved, fresh blueberries, he makes a bit of a mess with them. I use Welch's frozen blueberries. They're MUCH smaller than fresh or any other frozen blueberry and he gobbles them up just as much as fresh ones. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]As a precaution against mess, I hung vinyl shower curtain on the inside of his cage behind his dishes but, honestly, I hardly ever have to wipe it down as he almost never gets anything on it. I have him in the double flight cage that others on here have and I can completely and fully clean his cage in under half an hour -- he's really that un-messy. I do, however, change the papers lining the bottom of the cage daily; the dropped fruit and their poop tends to get a bit smelly otherwise. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
I also only chop his food once a week. I get up at 5:00 for my job, and the prospect of having to get up even earlier to chop fruit wasn't a pleasing one. I chop his fruit on Saturday mornings for the week and it takes me about two hours. I measure out two cups of fruit for each day and store it in individual Lock-And-Lock containers in the fridge and it stays completely fresh all week. I also sprinkle the fruit with dried oregano which has terrific anti-fungal properties and helps with freshness. Additionally, I supplement his fruit with a 1/2 tsp. of organic coconut oil every other day which does wonders for his plumage, not to mention the benefits of the lauric acid and medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil. All of my animals get coconut oil. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Many people swear by Mazuri pellets, but I use Zupreem exclusively. The third ingredient in Mazuri is corn gluten. Even though it's popular as a feed for livestock, corn gluten is basically indigestible and I don't think it has any place in an avian diet.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Many aracari's bathe in their water; mine almost never does, but I think this is because I shower with him every day. He has a perch in the shower and absolutely loves it. He'll get directly under the shower head until he's completely waterlogged and he also loves being blow-dried after. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My aracari also doesn't sleep in his cage. At night, when I turn off his full-spectrum lights ( I use Lumichrome 1XX bulbs, the best full-spectrum light on the market bar-none) he flies over to me on the bed. I wrap him up in a receiving blanket and he falls right asleep. Once he's asleep, I put him in his blanket into a wicker basket on my nightstand and he stays there until the alarm goes off. It's pretty cute.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Aracari's are incredible animals. Very un-parrot like in so many ways and I think that's a good thing. They're not the emotional basket cases that parrots can be. They pretty much take everything in stride. It amazes me that they're not more popular than they are. I've had lots of experience with various hookbills but I consider the aracari to be the perfect bird.[/FONT]

Thank you for your very thoughtful post, I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.