• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting along or fighting

Lalo1366

Moving in
Hello. I have a Male green cheek conure and I just brought home another green cheek conure both seperate cages next to eachother. When I let them out in a seperate room they seem to be ok for a bit. They get really close to eachother like bumping on to kne another then they start to preen eachother It looks like they are fine then they fight. Once I seperate them the cycle continues They preen eachother then they fight my question is. Is this normal way for conures to get along after a while or is this territorial behavior? Thanks for any feed back

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
I don’t have any experience with conures so hoping that someone answers this.

Meanwhile, welcome to AA. :)
Birdie pics are always cherished here.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
The conures that I have seen do not fight. They preen and feed each other and then cuddle. Every once in a while there may be a little spat over food or attention but not just a continuous cycle. It would probably be best to keep them separated and only together when you can watch so they don’t end up doing serious damage to each other. Best of luck :)

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
My conures do this sometimes, it could be different things really.
Mine do it because my green cheek is very hyper and forward. While my sun is reserved and likes to be fairly alone. They may continue this behavior, but mine stopped very quickly after they met. Just keep an eye out. My sun was also the first birdie, so it is kinda territorial. My green cheek came from being alone in a petsmart with no interaction with other birds so he doesnt know what an appropriate speed to which approach an older bird. He loves to run up to his brother and try to preen him. Now my sun with scream at him instead of biting. Occasionally he will give him a nip, but it's not too much of a problem. They're good friends now.
Have you noticed that one bird instigates over another? Like, is there a bird that will be the first to bite?

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
Also, its important to note that birds will not instantly get along. Its been over a year with my greenie, and they still go at it. It will take time. I reccomend starting them out slow rather then placing them right next to each other. (Ex. I started out by keeping one in a cage and introducing them like then, then switching roles, and slowly putting them on a perch together. I do this under close supervision. When they behave well together, some positive reinforcement wont hurt.)

Lalo1366

Moving in
I've noticed my older conure ( the one I've had) usually starts the fight. He will lift his leg and kick the other or will sneak a little bite on its tail feathers but then they will get super close and preen eachother. They seem to cuddle then fight the older is 11 months and the younger is 5-6 months . Do you guys think I will eventually be able to keep them in one cage?

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
I've noticed my older conure ( the one I've had) usually starts the fight. He will lift his leg and kick the other or will sneak a little bite on its tail feathers but then they will get super close and preen eachother. They seem to cuddle then fight the older is 11 months and the younger is 5-6 months . Do you guys think I will eventually be able to keep them in one cage?
Eventually, maybe. They look even closer than my boys are! It could take a while though. It definately could be adjustments, if the older one is biting. I like tk give gentle "hey"s when theyre fighting. They usually listen. Usually the green cheek will run around elsewhere. They also are still very young. My sun is 6 going on 7 and my GC just turned 1. They still have some learning to do. Starting them out young with each other is a good thing! They get to grow up together, and arent too far in age like mine.

Lalo1366

Moving in
Thank you I appreciate your response!!! I hope they get along well.